Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Can or should a woman consider pregnancy if her thyroid is removed?
Milennis posted:
My fiancee had her thyroid gland removed some years ago. She is 35 and wants to get pregnant. My concern is if her lack of this organ will affect hormone production or in any other way negatively impair a fetus' development?

phoenix31674 responded:
The both of you should sit down with her doctor and discuss your concerns. It is likely she would be referred to a high risk OB and would have frequent appointments to monitor her thyroid levels, but if she has been on medication (the artificial hormones) and has her levels under control, there may not be a medical reason why she could not get pregnant. The bigger issue for her will be her age because fertility plummets after 35.

But you really do need to talk with her doctor who knows her history and understands her condition best.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My first pregnancy was complicated; pregnancy, labor and delivery were so devastating that I was diagosed with post tramatic stress syndrome. My husba...More

Helpful Tips

Want to read "discussions" only?
Well that's easy too, on the left hand side you see many links one of them is "discussions", click on it and you'll only see the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.