Skip to content
Subutex
DadhelpingMom posted:
I am trying to help my girlfriend while waiting for her 10 week OB appointment. Stef is 7 weeks pregnant and has been in treatment for OTC abuse just shy of 3 years now. She was on Suboxone until she reveled her exciting pregnancy news to her treatment doctor. He then switched her to Subutex. Stef had her monthly follow up with her treatment doctor and he has her believing she CAN NOT wean off the Subutex prior to delivery. Stef's goal to wean off this is to deliver a healthy baby, free of withdraw AND we are frightened that weaning off Subutex will cause fetus development issues and possible miscarriage. The internet is useless with information mainly because the FDA has no informational studies conducted in humans on these types of medications. I want facts and testimonials from people who have experienced problems or NO problems while pregnant, delivery and postnatal. Medical opinions welcome. Judgmental comments are not necessary. Thank you, DadhelpingMom

I believe her Subutex mg is 4 per day

Take the Poll

Would Reducing Subutex to 1mg. from 4mg carry a lower risk of postnatal withdrawl (NAS)?
  • YES - it will carry a lower risk of NAS
  • NO - baby will have NAS whether mg. changes or not
  • Yes, but may expereince prenatal issues
vote
View Poll Results

Bulletproof27 responded:
Suboxone is showing better results than Methadone in regards to NAS. All methadone babies withdrawal while not all sub babies do and the ones that don't don't suffer anything like methadone babies. I gave birth to three children while on Suboxone .. My doctor switched me to Subutex with my last pregnancy but I didn't do well and switched back. All three of my babies were breech .. 1 was delivered vaginal , 2 were c sections .. All were girls between 6 and 7 pounds. None of them had any signs of withdrawal what so ever but they were kept extra days to be monitored because of subs long half life. The lowest dose I was on was 16 mgs & the highest was 32 mgs. My high risk ob told me do not lower your dose.. In the early stages of pregnancy lowering the dose can cause miscarriage and in the end stages it will cause premature labor .. It happened to me at 28 weeks but thank god I ended up going on to carry her full term. Please don't think because she is on subs that its a bad thing , it's better than coming off too soon and relapsing. I do wish you the best.. I know it's been months since you posted this but I felt that I had to respond either way . I do hope you see it and I wish you all the best.

Spotlight: Member Stories

im 18 years old and an expectant mother i know nothing of the nothingness.i was told during my second month of my pregnancy that i had what was know a...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.