Skip to content
Autoimmune Disease & Just Found Out I'm Pregnant and Terrified
Anon_22552 posted:
Hi! I have Behçet's Disease - not Lupus. But Behçet's has such a lower population of people to help with my questions that I'm also reaching out to my "cousin" sufferers for help since the two diseases are treated with many of the same drugs. First off, Behçet's is an autoimmune disease that attacks the vascular system, eyes and skin. It causes mouth and eye ulcers, uveitis, blood vessel problems, skin lesions, genital ulcers...etc. I live in an area where most doctors have never heard of BD so I drive three hours one way for treatment at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, MD at their amazing rheumatology clinic. I was sick for over a decade before I was diagnosed. So...that leads me to my terrible situation. The other day I had bad pain I'm my right lower rib cage. I had to go to my local emergency room. When I gave a urine sample, it came back slightly faintly positive. So they added it to the blood test panel. The nurse comes in to the room and announces I am pregnant. This is devastating. Reason: I take 8 tablets of methotrexate weekly, 2,000 mg of Cellcept daily, 2 tablets of colchicine daily, prednisone...etc. I also take birth control. I am only allowed to take progesterone only birth control due to having the anticardiophospholipid antibody which can promote blood clots. But, this pill is not totally effective. My partner and I try to be very careful but somehow this happened. They said my test shows I am incredibly early. My hormone level was 1.52. My vaginal ultrasound showed a slight thickening of the uterine wall. I may have only been 3 days late from my period and m never regular. So. This is obviously scary because of all of the medications. I cannot stop my meds due to having very bad flares (almost going blind and almost having blood vessels that could have ruptured). Some of the nurses at the hospital were very inappropriate with their comments asking if I have a man in my life and if he wants a child. Frustrating. Anyhow, my doctors are planning a medically induced termination of the pregnancy. Does anyone have experience with anything that I'm going through? This is so awful. I've only shared this with a close friend and my partner and there's no one to relate to. Any help is appreciated!

Spotlight: Member Stories

im 18 years old and an expectant mother i know nothing of the nothingness.i was told during my second month of my pregnancy that i had what was know a...More

Helpful Tips

Want to change font size?
It is easy to make the font bigger press and hold your control key and click on the + key until it's as big as you like, To make the ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 23 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.