Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get answers to your pregnancy questions from our WebMD Pregnancy Experts.
taking anxiety pills and trying to get pregnant
baby6409 posted:
I was trying to find someone that may have had a baby while on anxiety pills. I started having anxiety after having our first child, who is now 2. We have decided to try and have another baby and my doctor has taken me off lexapro, I am having anxiety and really do not want to take medication when I am pregnant, worried that the baby will be affected by the medication. My doctor said paxel, a different medication would be safe to take, but I am still worried! Has anyone experienced this before?

aphishinthec responded:
When I found out I was pregnant I was taking Effexor XR and Xanax. I'm sad to report to you that I have made the decision to come off of them. Xanax causes birth defects and Effexor has a low risk but like you I was terrified to take it for fear of causing a defect. I wasn't trying to get pregnant but once I got used to the idea I wanted to do what was best... or what I believed to be best. I have suffered from anxiety and depression since I was very young and quitting those meds in the first trimester was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do because of the horrible withdrawal symptoms on top of early pregnancy symptoms. I still have horrible anxiety but I'm just trying to cope as best I can. What it comes down to I guess is what will make you feel like you did the right thing. This is corny but the answer comes from within, but keep in mind... without a healthy you, a healthy baby is not very likely.

I hope this helps you... or at least gives you something to think about. I'm in my second trimester now and everything seems to be doing fine. I even seem to be doing okay. I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mom of 4 TTC again =D in need of some advice and willing to give some too :)

Helpful Tips

boy or girl
when can ifind out what i am haveing? More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.