Skip to content

Announcements

Get answers to your pregnancy questions from our WebMD Pregnancy Experts.
Bi-Polar and Pregnant...
cherrycheeks4806 posted:
I was diagnosed with bi-polar 1 disorder, depression/anxiety, schizo-effective disorder. I was taking some meds, ablilify, celexa, and vistoril. The meds took the edge off things, but didn't help completely. Now I'm pregnant, and haven't taken any meds except benedryl for alergies the whole time. I'm 29wks and I'm starting to feel very aggressive and depressed, not to mention anxious and upset about being pregnant. This just started a few weeks ago. Before I was happy about all this. Now I just wish it were over. I'm scared to take meds because of what they might do to the baby girl. But I'm more afraid of going through postpartum depression again. I had it with a previous pregnancy. I'm so mixed up in my mind I just don't know what to do. Can someone shine a little light on the subject?

cl1234 responded:
There are medications you can take but I would hightail it to your psychiatrist and discuss your options. I had to do that myself and am seeing a prenatal psychiatrist next week. It's nothing to be ashamed of and if the benefits outweigh the risk.....you need to take care of yourself in order to take care of your baby and anxiety/depression is not good for the baby. Good luck!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Mom of 4 TTC again =D in need of some advice and willing to give some too :)

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.