Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Get answers to your pregnancy questions from our WebMD Pregnancy Experts.
What could be causing the swelling in my legs and feet ? 10 weeks along, and in extreme pain..
An_245870 posted:
I am only 10 weeks pregnant. I have been experiencing extreme swelling in my legs and feet, especially the right side. This swelling isn't brought on by anything in particular, it kind of just shows up. It brings with it severe burning along the back of my calf and thigh, so much pain I can't stand it. I am afraid to put any weight on my feet because the skin is being stretched so tight from the swelling. I have a nagging almost continuous sharp jabbing pain in my right hip. I went to the emergency room and was seen by a doctor there, they did an ultrasound on my leg, and my blood work etc, and came back in to tell me that I am in perfect health. This is not normal!! I can't seem to get anyone to listen to me about how severe it is..I have had to miss work and I am not even through the first trimester. Anybody have any idea of what could be the problem?

karieallen responded:
yes i have that same problem and its because your on you feet too long or you might need to sleep with a pillow between your legs to releave the pressure from your hips especially if you sllep on your side you could be putting pressure on your cyattic nerve and thats causing the pain and discoumfort.

An_245659 responded:
Compression stockings are often prescribed to patients who come into the doctor's office with the same symptoms. You can buy them online retail without a prescription, but I'd STRONGLY recommend speaking with your doctor about it first to determine if doing so could pose health risks to you.

Compression stockings can be dangerous in certain individuals with certain conditions in which any pressure on the legs caused by the stockings could potentially backfire. You just have to find out if they're right for you.

An_254820 responded:
What you need is a Prenatal Cradle. They're specially designed to relieve swelling of the legs, feet and ankles in women who are pregnant. Wear them with some mild compression maternity hose. http://prenatal-cradle.com/

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the mother of one son and due with a new baby on November 23, 2010!

Helpful Tips

boy or girl
when can ifind out what i am haveing? More
Was this Helpful?
6 of 11 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.