Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Missed twin in ultrasound
NewLO posted:
I know I'm obsessive but.... I cannot stop thinking about the possibility of carrying twins! I have my ultrasound next week (they haven't called with the day yet, grrrr). History: When I got my BFP this time I swore it was twins but it was all intuition not for any particular reason. I had a scan at 6wks and seen only 1 baby so I dismissed the idea immediately. I never even considered it again. I was right with my intuition 1st & 2nd baby's gender..... Anyway, skip forward to Thursday afternoon, go for my 15 appointment and measure at 20.5 weeks. First question out of OB's mouth is "do twins run in your family?" Lo and behold BOTH of my grandmothers had twins (my mom has 2 sets of twin bro's and my dad is a twin!). Then I explain I've already had u/s at 6wks and seen only 1 baby. She says "they're pretty small and easy to miss at 6wks". She checked my blood sugar and it was perfect. I'm measuring 51/2 weeks ahead of schedule. Now, I CAN NOT STAND THE SUSPENCE!!!! I can't wait to get the next scan to see if they actually missed one?? I'm scared to get my hopes up (which they already are..). What are the chances they missed one? Anyone else find out after the first scan?? I have no patience. I want to know now!! LOL Sorry it's so long. Tell me what you think and if you've ever heard of one being missed at 6wk scan.

moonfairy50 responded:
lol I am going through the exact same thing right now. I just had my first appointment at four months and the NP says she thinks I am five months cause I measure too big for four months. I am being sent for an ultrasound this next week to find out, but even the suspense of a week is torturing me. To answer your question, yes I have heard of a twin being missed in an ultrasound. I even knew someone who did not know they were having twins till the 2nd one came sliding out (given this was 25 years ago that it happened). Good luck and I hope you don't go crazy while waiting lol.

moonfairy50 responded:
I forgot to add that after asking about twins in the family (I have third cousins who are...that just seems to far to matter to me) she started listening to the heartbeat and told me that it was possible I was having twins. That pregnancy memory must be getting to me if I cant tell a first person story right.

GigiSage responded:
OMG! I am so excited for you! I thought I was pregnant with twins too but at 5wks, 7wks and 12wks they have not found an extra little bean in there... so my hopes were dashed! It makes me wonder if I am right about this one being a boy. I really think it is a boy, but with my intuition being out of whack it is probably a girl... *sigh* Good luck! I hope you are pregnant with twins! That would be awesome for you!

jnk2004 responded:
Hi ladies Well I am a mommy of twins I had fraternal twins, carried them full term, and they are happy and healthy at 4 1/2 years old I knew at 6wks I was having twins because mine were in separate sacs so mine were easy to see In the beginning it is hectic but get yourself in a routine and stick to it As they get older it does gets easier! Fraternal twins (ones that pass down through generations) run on the mother's side Even if your father was a twin or he has twins on his side it goes by your mother Now identical twins just happen and dont pass down through generations I believe too as you get older you stand a higher chance of having twins because older women ovulate more eggs at one time Also, multiple births can skip multiple generations before another multiple birth takes place I had twins and my sister had triplets (fraternal) and it has been four generations since the last multiple births happened on my mom's side of the family I wish the both of you all the best Twins are the greatest If you find you are having twins and need advice please feel free to find me here and I will offer up any advice I can Jennifer

NewLO responded:
Thanks Jennifer! I'll definitely be posting the results as soon as I find out!! :grin:

mill23 responded:
I was exactly 7w at my first appt & u./s & the twins were clear as day (we were shocked!) - I don't see how they could miss them ... but mine too were in separate sacks. I hope it turns out how you want it too, just try not to be too exciteed to expect twins so you'll have disappointed if there's still only one ... all that matters is a healthy baby or two healthy babies!! Keep us posted what you find out!

ginak912 responded:
I had fraternal twins and learned about them at 8 weeks. They were easy to see because they were in two separate sacs with separate placentas. The doc knew to send me for the u/s because of how fast my levels were rising during the first few weeks of pregnancy. However, I have heard of women finding out about their twins at a later date, especially if they are sharing a sac. Good Luck. Twins are a lot of fun. Gina(28)Jeff(28) Twin boys(3) three angels EDD 1/6/2010- It's a Girl!!!!!!!!!

Jess102600 responded:
It's rare to miss twins, even in the first early scan, but that did happen to one of the girls I work with. Heartbeats were perfectly in line and the sacs/babies lined up every time. She didn't find out there were two babies until she was 6 1/2 months, having her second ultrasound to determine the sex.

AMCMSM2 responded:
Lurking.............My younger brothers are twins and we did not find out until 10 days before they were born that there were 2. That was a shock to my mom but, I think my dad was even more in shock. I was sure it was twins with my first ( and excited about it ) but, it wasn't for me. Now I am terrified and excited that #2 will be #2 AND #3.

Dybik5 responded:
I too am going through this...but my details are a little different. I am 5 weeks 3 days pregnant with baby# 5. I had some spotting yesterday morning and the Dr had me come in for an ultrasound. The first thing he saw were 2 corpus luteum cysts on my left ovary. He said I released 2 eggs. He quickly scanned my uterus and said he only saw one sac, no fetus, no heartbeat, one yolk sac. I asked him if there was a possibility that there was another baby in there and he just couldnt see it, since he was so sure I released 2 eggs and he said yes, but unlikely. THey also did a blood draw to check my HCG and today the nurse said it came back at 9,751. I have another appointment Monday morning for a follow up scan. The wait is terrible!!! I just have a feeling he is missing something. I am sooooo early! Even if it turns out to be that one didnt attach or make it or whatever, im confused as to what happened to the other egg. I know that its not 100% you'll get two babies just because you had 2 eggs, but I just have a crazy feeling!! Anyone have this before???

jaiandkysmommy responded:
My twins were sharing a sac and i still found out at my 8 week ultrasound. I knew from my first appointment. Generally they can see them very early now due to technology. Years ago, they couldn't and that's why people had twins without knowing it.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi i am Emily, I was born in a small town called Bend Oregon ( aka Bend over Oregon). I will be 21 here in september 21, I was rased mostly in ...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.