Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Nub theory?
Two_becomes_One posted:
So I've been seeing post on other sites that swear by this "nub theory" this simply means the genital nub, when first developed sometime around the 10-13th week, the nub, that will soon either turn into female vaginal lips or a boys testes shows up on a profile view of baby at 12 weeks. The girls will be parallel with their spine while the boys will be on a 30 degree angel up. Anyone else heard of this? I'm almost 22 weeks now and we still don't know the sex of our little one....according to the theory its a girl...but I shouldn't count on it right!?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

PuppyLove03 responded:
My "nub" had an angle and was definitely confirmed to be a boy. Sooo...the theory just might be true

Two_becomes_One responded:
there are many people who are hard core believers because of the fact its worked out true! congrats on your little boy....this gives me hope for our girl!

Lovin_my_babies responded:
do you have any pictures from your ultrasounds? i would think if you can see a nub theory, that you should be able to see a body part (or is it from an early early u/s that you are basing your 'results' off of)? Anyway, I had a u/s at 6 weeks (which we of course couldn't see anything) and then my next u/s wasn't until 19 weeks, and then again at 23 weeks. i am having a boy, and his stuff was always at an angle, but it really wasn't a 30? angle, more like 90? lol..

good luck! hope you find out soon!

you are supposedly only able to tell on around a 12-13 week ultrasound but i may be wrong on that part. i have seem the most views and comparisons on www.ingender.com check it out there are lots of comparisons with pics! my ultrasound pics are from 12 weeks but im not sure its a good "nub" view lol see what you think.

viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=12806317&albumID=3460992&imageID=66620438

Lovin_my_babies responded:
AH... its private! lol

jrbaby2010 responded:
At a sonogram around 11 weeks, they told me they'd guess a girl based on the angle of something (I forget what it was called) and it was right, but they always have a 50% chance of being right anyway!

yeah i think they were prob talking about the nub then! i'm a believer lol....there are even lots of ultrasound techs who go by this theory in early pregnancy....keep fingers crossed ladies

Jill_en responded:
I had my nuchal screen done on Friday and I asked the sonographer what she thought it was and she pointed out this line that was laying flat and said she thinks girl because the boys are usually angled up. I guess the "nub" is what she was talking about.

catsi2002 responded:
all i remember is "2 stripes means girl"....lol...the sonogram pic has two parallel strips between her legs... so, now that's all i think about "2 stripes means girl"...lol

me(35) dh(28) 4 furry felines, 1st EDD 3/4/10

omg thats totally what she was talking about! yay! congrats on your hopefully little girl. i dont want to jinx us but im pretty sure the nub theory works!

do you have any photos of the screen? id love to see!

lol 2 stripes does mean girl but this doesn't apply until at least 18-20 weeks and the nub theory at 12-13 wks because of physical change in those 'parts'

Joyful2B responded:
This is so awesome to me! We did not find out the sex of our baby, but I keep trying to "accidently" find out or find clues as to what it is! ha So I pulled out my 10 week ultrasound. And I can see the little rounded butt and the 2 legs sticking forward - the obvious part! ha But I am alittle confused as to what is the "nub". Is it big or just a little nub off the end of their butt?? cuz their is like a little button on its butt and then the umbilicial cord is kinda coming out from between its legs??? Could it be between teh umbilical cord and that tiny little button thing on its butt???

Jill_en responded:
don't have a pic of the line because she didn't print it out. But she did point it out to me and it was totally bright line laying flat.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Im a stay at home mom of 5 wonderful kids. Im expecting baby #6 in February.

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.