Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Abnormal nuchal trans. measurement
Tif25 posted:
I am 20 weeks now, but when I was 17w3d I had an ultrasound and my doctor called me in the next week to discuss it. Everything on the ultrasound was absolutely fine and going well except her nuchal fold measurement was huge. Everything I've read says above 6mm is too much, but my dr. said 11mm is the high end of "normal". Well, her 1st measurement was 16mm, then we had another ultrasound four days later and the largest measurement they got was 13.26mm. They wanted me to do an amnio, but after lots of prayers we just didn't feel like that was a good idea. Friday we are going to a perinatologist where we are hoping for some more answers w/o having to go for an amnio. I hear so many strories of moms who have had the same worries and everything is fine, it just seems like her numbers are so huge and I have a long 4 months ahead of me! Please let me know if you have the same thing going on or know of someone, etc. It sucks because it feels like everyone is looking to me to know what to do and to make the right decisions, and I'm just emotionally drained. So everyone knows as well, I am not worried about if she has Down Syndrome, we would be blessed to raise such a child. I just don't know what I'll do if I lose her right after birth-we have 2 boys, this is our 1st girl, and our last child no matter what. We can't go through this again. Hope someone has good news.

wantingbaby123 responded:
I'm sorry that you are going through this. If you wouldn't terminate because of downs, i wouldn't do the amnio. It is too much to worry about. My dr asked me the same question and i said that i would NOT terminate, so we didn't do any genetic testic. I went for the anatomy scan and everything looked good. Honestly, they should be able to tell if there is anything abnormal with the heart or any other organs. If everything looks normal, i wouldn't worry too much about losing her right after birth IF she has downs. Like you said, she is a blessing either way. JMO. I hope that helped a little.

zlaylaz responded:
Hold on a sec. Why did you get the NT scan sooooooooooo late. Everywhere I read said that after 14 weeks the results are soooooo not accurate.

Also, an amnio can offer time for preparation of a special needs child. You need to weigh the risks for yourself.

Good luck and keep us updated.

kerrib1971 responded:
Hi,

I just had this process done and was told the NT scan was to be done between 10-13 weeks. I had it done at 12 weeks. 17 weeks seems a little late and maybe that could cause some problems with the numbers. I was told normal is 4-6mm. I have also heard over 3mm can be cause for some concern. I think the numbers vary on who you are talking to for some reason.

Where your baby is a full month larger than they suggest for this testing maybe the numbers would be different.

I wish I could help more, but I had thought a lot about this topic mostly due to my age, and if my numbers came back questionable I would opt for the amnio. Not because I would terminate, but because I would want to be prepared and research what my child needed to have the best life possible.

Kerri

Tif25 responded:
Thank you!!! Everything I've read said the test needs to be done no later than like 14 weeks! It's so frustrating. Tomorrow we are going to a perinatologist and hopefully get more answers. I have a feeling they are going to say the same thing, about when the test was done. But where there are no other symptoms present of any other problems, we feel pretty good. Thanks for all the help.

Tif25 responded:
I considered doing the amnio so my husband and I could prepare ourselves and our boys if she had Downs, I have read they can have a decreased suck reflex, trouble breathing, etc. that would be nice to have some "tools" ready for when a problem arose, I think more of a reason why we have decided not to is because if we find out she has Trisomy 13 or 18 I don't feel like I will keep much hope of having her around for long, when babies like that can live years, though it's not very likely, from what I've heard. I will have to let everyone know what we find out, if anything much, tomorrow at our appointment. Hope everyone else is still doing well! P.S. Is anyone else feeling huge? I've only gained 8lbs, but can only wear maternity, and feel big already! Oh, well.

malikita2013 responded:
Hi tif25,

Just read this post few days ago and i have the same case now so i just want the rest of this discussion, and what you guys ended up doing?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been together since 6/2005. We got married in June of 2010. We enjoy spending time with eachother and family. I found out I was ...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.