Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Hi! New & have a question (TMI?)
cdl1982 posted:
I thought I'd try posting over on this board (husband's suggestion ^_^).

Starting today, I've noticed that after I go to the bathroom & wipe, my vagina is very itchy. This evening, on top of being itchy, when I got up & walked out of the bathroom I noticed I felt very swollen in that area. I got a mirror & checked & it's very red & a little swollen.

Is this just from the increased blood flow or my uterus stretching? There's no discharge so I don't think it's a yeast infection.

Thanks for the help!

Jess102600 responded:
Hopefully this will post this time. They say third time is a charm!

Your best bet is to check with your OB. It doesn't sound like an infection, since there is no weird discharge or bad smell, but better safe than sorry!

teeny79 responded:
I have the swelling that you are talking about and for a little while i had some discomfort when wiping. For me i believe the problem was the soap i was using to shower with, for some reason when i get pregnant i develop a sensitivity to soap. I started using summers eve, it is a non-soap intimate cleanser that is much more gentle and the discomfort went away, the swelling is still there though not all the time. Sometimes i can get the swelling to go down for a while by soaking in the tub for a while. You might also start using wet wipes after going to the bathroom because you might also be a little irritated down there, this would be especially true if you have to use panty liners or have discharge on a daily basis because that was something else i noticed, if i wore panty liners for to long they irritated my skin even with changing them.

babymamma30 responded:
Hello, I found this article on here a few days ago.....6 embarrasing pregnancy symptons. Some of your symptons sound similar.

4. The Cheeseburger Crotch While it may not be embarrassing in the public sense, it can certainly be a private source of chagrin. We're talking about pregnancy vaginal and vulvar problems, including discharge, an increase in odors, itching, and even a swelling of the vulva that Quarty and her pals nicknamed "cheeseburger crotch." My friend Grace and I named it that because it looks like you?re stuffing a cheeseburger in your panties," jokes Quarty.

Macaulay says once again pregnancy hormones and baby's increasing weight are to blame. Thankfully, there are things you can do.

She says wearing panty liners and changing them often will help keep your "v-zone" clean and dry, which in turn can dramatically cut down on odors, itching, and general discomfort.

"I don't recommend using an intimate deodorant or other scented products. Many women get vulvar burning and itching, which could cause other problems," says Macaulay.

Also remember that pregnancy hormones boost the olfactory sense, so Macaulay says don't be surprised if no one smells the body odors you insist are just horrific.

"What smells really, really bad to a pregnant woman may not even be noticeable to someone else," says Macaulay.

As to your "cheeseburger crotch," experts say it's a result of increased fluids and blood, which cause swelling in this area -- and it's normal. That said, Riley cautions that if your swollen vulva is also bright red or blue/purple in color you might have vulvar varicosities -- or varicose veins in the vulvar region. If so, staying off your feet as much as possible is important, as well as wearing an elastic under-belly support belt sold in many pregnancy lingerie departments. Make sure to discuss it with your doctor.

gulfcoastlaney replied to babymamma30's response:
Vulvar Varicosities - Why Me?

I had vulvar varicosities during my first pregnancy and it was a nightmare beyond anything I'd ever experienced before --- at least down there. My OBGYN wasn't even familiar with the condition and at first didn't know what to do. She eventually came up with a solution but I suffered two weeks unnecessarily.

Without being graphic, suffice it to say it was swollen, painful, itchy and much to my husband's chagrin sex was not even a remote consideration. Back then, they were just coming out with these compression vulvar support braces that are supposed to make the pain go away without the need for sclerotherapy.

Luckily, in my case, while I can't say it went away overnight it did start to ease up within a few days. Within a couple of weeks, it was barely noticeable, and my life was back to as normal as it can possibly be when you're five months into a pregnancy.

The company I got mine from doesn't exist anymore, but when I learned I was pregnant again I immediately went searching for anyone else that sold them (I never imagined I'd need a second one) just out of fear it MIGHT develop during my second pregnancy.

At the bottom I've attached a photo so anyone interested can see what it looks like.

Image Source: http://www.eganmedical.com/V2-Supporter-p/ormt-v2s.htm

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me--31.. DH..34 first time (and last given how rought that 1st trimester was). Totally exicted, praying to be on the PINK team.

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.