Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
EXTREME Constipation! HELP!!
trishj26 posted:
Sorry if TMI...

I have been so constipated! I take Colace daily and drink alot of fluids. I have been really straining the past week to have move my bowels. Friday I took 2 Dulcolax (Dr. approved) - and nothing. Tried 2 more Dulcolax Sat. night - and had very hard minimal stool. Sunday I ate Prunes (so gross by the way!) and that didn't work either. Yesterday Dr's office told me to drink Hot Prune Juice (EVEN WORSE THAN PRUNES!) and then drink 2 cups of hot tea - did that and just minimal hard stool again. Now my last resort was a Glycerin Suppository. It's been an hour and half and NOTHING! What else can I possibly do!!?? I know about the whole high fiber diet and all that - but that is not going to help get out what's in there now! Once I am cleared - I will really watch my diet and make sure I am getting enough fiber etc.

Has anyone been in this situation - where nothing worked???
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Hayliesmom1974 responded:
I get really bad like that as well and have been since i had my daughter 9 years ago. What i do is Colace 2x a day, fiber pills and now every night a swig of milk of magnesium which is the only thing my Doc said I could take hth best of luck, i can feel your pain.

mias_mommy1 responded:
I just replied to a post about this below. Try an enema, a warm water one. Dr.'s recommendation. It will help relieve some of the pain. It isn't a way to keep you regular, but there is no way to get regular until you can pass the stuff that is blocking the way.

metalgirl71 responded:
Trish,

Sorry to hear about your pain. I still get chills when I think about PRUNE JUICE. The nastiest drink EVER created! I lost 6 lbs in 2 days when I finally went! I ended up taking Milk of Magnesia. This happened my last pregnancy. Being this consipated is really painful!

This pregnancy I am taking colace (stool softener) also called docusate sodium 100mg (1 tablet) everyday and Miralax every other day or so. Both of these have been approved by my OB-GYN and I have been doing much better with this plan. I have not had any major problems this time.

Hope this helps! Lisa.

cheeezie25 responded:
O man, I am right there with ya! I freaked out today because I thought I was going into premature labor, but it ended up just being really bad constipation! I left work, went to the doctor's office and everything! I feel kinda silly about it, but in the end I'm glad I did because you never know...

My doc gave me the lecture on fiber, fiber and more fiber... but the thing is that I already eat alot of fiber! I eat yogurt often too and I even have coffee in the morning (even though docs may not recommend it, it does usually help the "flow" of things...) My bowel muscles just do not seem to be functioning as well as they once did, regardless of stool softness.

Anyway, I have been having horrible constipation for the past few days, and it wasn't until after I got home from work/the drs office today that I was able to find "relief". I honestly think the stress I was having from thinking it could be more than what it was actually made matters worse. However, just de-stressing and relaxing my body actually helped me alot.

I know this kinda sounds like lame advice, but your situation just sounds alot like mine and that is honestly what seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle for me. Just a thought

LauraSNJ responded:
Hi Trish,

I totally feel your pain. I've had severe constipation issues for a long time, well before this pregnancy, but of course they've only gotten worse. I tried everything as well... I eat a TON of fiber, prunes, you name it and nothing works. The doctor had me try Colace, which worked once but then stopped. He then approved me to take Senekot. That alone does not work for me, but when I combine it with Colace, it works reasonably well. I take 2 Colace capsules as soon as I wake up, then 2 Senekot caplets in the middle of the afternoon. I've been producing some sort of stool about every 2-3 days with this method.

Good luck!

crystalrivers responded:
The best cure: Fruit fruit and more fruit! I eat a lot of fruit so I never have a problem with constipation. Yes, prunes are the best, but if you eat a lot of it, any fruit is good. Eat applesauce, strawberries, or even canned fruit or raisins (although fresh is best). Try it! It's good for the baby too. Eat whatever fruit you like in large amounts (but not too many bananas) and see what happens

dolphinex3 responded:
I'm sooo sorry but I feel you, I have had severe to the point of hours of pain with extreme gas. Metamucil is helping I drink it with OJ it's safe up to 3 times a day have also been drinking chamomile tea before bed and it's relieved alot of the gas pain. I have IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and this pregnancy has really taken it to the extreme to the point where I've had so much pain I though I was having a miscarriage. Hope this helps!

melissarj21 responded:
I had the same problem the first few months I was pregnant. I started eating a lot of fruit and a bowl of grapenuts every morning before work and I haven't had a problem since. I got the grapenuts idea from my mom. It has a bunch of fiber in it.

myblustarr responded:
omg thank god for this site this is my second and with my first i had none of these issues i cant poo and i drink prune juice like water and gallons of water i will try the colace i hope it works thanks

Leayre responded:
I was really really bad too about a month or so ago, and tried Myralx (sp) and that really helped unwind everything. Dulcolx is a joke I took tons of it and it didn't do ANYTHING. The myralx is odorless and tasteless and you mix it with your drink, and it worked for me. I tried everything under the sun and that was the only thing that seemed to work. I also stopped taking Zofran and within a week I didn't have anymore issues. Good luck I know how you feel.

unknown responded:
Ok, so I'm actually from 1st trimester and was just looking to see what to expect in 2nd trimester. I have already had this issue (even before pregnancy) and was told by my doctor to take 3 tablespoons of light colored Karo Syrup and drink a lot of water. The combination has worked for me when nothing else will. (I put the Karo Syrup on Saltines) It usually works within 12 -18 hours. Good luck! Hope you feel better!

Brianna914 responded:
Sadly, I had been dealing with this since day one of this pregnancy, and only recently has it even got remotely better. Iwas taking Zofran and realized that was making it even worse! But I needed it. So now I have no M/S and I don't take the med anymore. It has gotten easier HOWEVER, it's still pretty infrequent and hard. I have found that the only think that works for me (I've tried everything!!!) is Milk of Magnesia. I get the cherry flavor cause the mint just makes me wanna barf! try this. You may need to take it a few times. Also, eventhough it says it doesn't cause cramping....it does. At least for me it did. But I was at my wits end I needed it OUT! Just like you said.....Good Luck!

unknown responded:
My doctor has me taking peri-colace morning and night and raisin bran in the morning. You need to get things going though and for me I had to do a saline enema. It wasn't comfortable but it works and then just keep on top of it. My doctor said to keep doing the peri-colace and bran until I have runny stool. He also mentioned it is better to get a handle on it now because it can get pretty bad again late in pregnancy! It is not a fun problem to have, hope you get some relief soon!

An_253254 responded:
Hi! If I read more more post of people saying to drink prince juice and drink water I'm going to hurl my computer, I'm on pregnancy number 2 and have the same problem. The issue is that the hcg hormones causes all muscles to relax which means the bowels stop working completely. I went a month of nothing last time before taking action. Midwife told me to try colonics and they work sometimes depends on the technician. I also went to a chiropractor last time that does the Webster techni designed for pregnancy. Helps with back pain plus constipation. I've also tried acupuncture and shiatsu massage in early trimesters. You can try enemas and suppositories but they only clear out the lower rectum if you're lucky they don't get to where the stool is stuck. There's also homeopathic options. I did a combo of all of those last time and did get some relief. Going to start tmrw on them all aaij with this new baby. If a doc tells you to eat veggies get a new doc! They blow this off like its no worry, meanwhile at 5 weeks I look 3 months all from 10days of backup.check out link by Motherisk who have a hotline u can call to ask questions http://www.motherisk.org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=98

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married since 2003 .Terrell is 35 I am 28 We have 3 beautiful children together with number four on the way 01/11/2011 Mari...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.