Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Water before ultrasound
Chlorini posted:
I'm really nervous about having to drink 32 oz. of water before my ultrasound tomorrow. I know it's silly because so many women do it, but I'm still nervous. I want to enjoy seeing my baby and not be totally distracted and uncomfortable the whole time. But I also want to do what they told to me to. Does anyone have any tips or encouragement? Do women ever not make it and urinate on the table? That would be sooo embarrassing! I'm scared!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

orin34 responded:
My doctor has never made me do this...... which ultrasound are you doing? is it the 20 week one?

misbell responded:
My doctor didn't say anything to me about drinking water before the u/s. I think by now the baby is big enough that they should be able to see what they need to see unless he/she is moving around too much. I would just drink maybe a glassful but not worry about the 32oz. Besides, you can always ask the U/S tech when you get there if you can go to the bathroom if you really have to. At my doctors, there is a bathroom in the u/s room. GL!

Chlorini responded:
Yes, it's my 20-week (well, actually I will be a few days shy of 20 weeks). When I scheduled the appointment, the lady on the phone said to drink the water. It would be great if it weren't necessary! I think because I'm nervous to find out if the baby is healthy, I'm redirecting all nervousness into worrying about the water!

collinjames responded:
The reason for drinking the fluid is to increase the picture of the baby, they need to measure things and with a full bladder it helps them to see everything the techs need to see. when we schedule out ultra sounds we get a slip stating what we all need to do. I would at least drink as much as you can. it takes 30 mins for your bladder to get full so i guess drink a bottle about 30 min before the appointment and you should be good.. hope this helps

VeryFirst responded:
Well when I found out I was pregnant and it was through the ER. I was really sick and not eating and thought there was something wrong with my intestines or something (seeing as though I was on birth control). Well anyway when I went in I was only about 5 or 6 weeks prego and for them to see the baby I had to have a full bladder. So instead of just giving me a bunch of water to drink they give me a CATHETER!!!!!! :confused: :chagrin: Talk about unbelievable discomfort!!!!!!! So please be happy that they are making you voluntarily drink water. I wish they gave me that option, but Im curious why they are making you drink that much water so late in the pregnancy. If there even enough room for all the water at one time and the baby? :lightsmile:

xpectingabby21 responded:
Lol the one ultrasound I got, at 6w 3days, they told me that if I hadn't had a full bladder they may not have found the little bean, but because I hadn't peed in hours (I don't do public restrooms well, so I hold it until I'm practically dying), they found the baby perfectly. So I'd imagine this really would help even more as you get further along... Anyway, Good luck! Don't psych yourself out, otherwise you probably will pee on the table! I'm sure as soon as you see the little guy/girl on the screen, you'll forget all about the painful bladder.

ntherelng responded:
I wonder if part of it has to do with the u/s technology or the kind of machine they have. When I asked about it before, they smiled and said "we don't have to do that anymore."

sdgreer responded:
They told me to drink 20 oz. I usually have to pee about 6 times for one bottle i drink so i was freaking out. What i did was wait until i was at the hospital and was in the waiting room, then pretty much chugged it. They called me back as soon as i finished the water and i felt fine during the whole u/s. afterwards i had to go twice before even leaving the hospital and almost didn't make it home to go again!! lol i went about 10 times afterwards, but during the u/s i felt great. oh yeah, and i went to the bathroom right before i started drinking the water too.

tabby62010 responded:
They told me to drink 32-40oz. of water. Today, on the car ride to the ultrasound, I drank a bottle of water, but I don't think it was quite 32oz. - maybe 26 or so. The good thing is that they called me in right away. I didn't have to wait too long. I made it just fine through the ultrasound. It only took 30 minutes. Then, the tech allowed me to pee. On the way home, I stopped at my friend's house to use the bathroom, and then home, I used the bathroom. When the bladder is full, it pushes the uterus higher so the tech can get a better picture and have easier access to all the baby parts.

5ylver responded:
hahah I have to drink 32 oz an hour before my appointment! and who knows if I'll even be called back on time. the 30 minute one sounds a little better but I really have to hold that in for an hour or longer... actually yes longer because I won't be able to go till AFTER the ultrasound lol this is my first baby and will be my first ultrasound so I don't have any tips of encouragement but I'm right there with ya!

MrsIvey responded:
I too had to drink lots with DD at our big u/s. While it isn't required anymore, it definitely helps to make things easier to see. Let's be honest - none of us wants to get there and not be able to see what we've been dying to see for 4+ months! When I had the u/s with her, I drank two bottles of water. I drank one at work before getting in the car, and then another in the car on the way. I was uncomfortable for sure, but I was so looking forward to the u/s I was kind of giddy. When she pulled up the picture of our beautiful little baby and showed us the girl parts, funny thing, I didn't notice anymore. :sheepish: Boy did I pound on that bathroom door afterward! Thank goodness it had another preggo in there who TOTALLY understood!

chopstix85 responded:
I was told that I just needed to drink 8 oz. of water before the app. GOOD LUCK :grin:

Samantha_77 responded:
I have mine on Friday. I was talking to some friends that have already gone through this. They told me just to drink as much as you can, it doesnt have to be the 32oz, and if your bladder is too full, the tech makes you go to the bathroom to just let a little out. I have been quite nervous about this too. I've actually been practicing the last 4 weeks. I have 25oz and see how long I can hold it. I can only make it about 45 minutes. They call back right away too because they know you have a full bladder. No worries!!

jle09 responded:
Like most of the PP have said, I agree drinking the water helps increase the picture. I haven't been told to drink X amount, but I do know that I should up the volume right before. I wouldn't fixate on the number 32, I'd just make sure you are full when you go.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I am Katie, 22; & my DH is Ryan, 21. We have been together for 8yrs, & married for 4 yrs. We have a daughter Kelsey that was born 7/4/1...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.