Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Pitted Skin on Breasts?
cyfarianne posted:
Hi all. I lived on these boards when pg with my now 5 year old dd. I loved these boards then and am excited to come back now that I am 22 weeks pg.

My question...Does anyone have little pits all over their boobs? It looks like tiny little pinholes and is actually a depression where each little hair follicule (sp?) is. I was majorly freaking out that it was Peau D'orange, a sign of inflammatory breast cancer and saw a few breast surgeons. They have tried to assure me that it is a normal change in the boobs while preggers. I didn't have it with my first dd. I couldn't find any info to verify it on the internet. Does anyone else have it?

Thanks, Jill

tdub089 responded:
WHen you say tiny pinholes ..is it on the whole boob or just the nipple?..I only ask because I have them on my nipples..every now and then..I freaked also...

cyfarianne responded:
Nope, the entire boob...both boobs. I have pictures to demonstrate. While I am not a super fan of putting picture of my boobs on the internet, I had a very scary few weeks convinced that I breast cancer. My breast surgeon said it was a completely normal change from hormones and that there isn't enough information about pregnant boobs on the internet, so if it helps anyone else, I'd be happy to post some pics if anyone wants to see exactly what I am talking about.

tdub089 responded:
I would love to see what you are talking about(umm maybe that sounded a little perverted huh lol) but I am just very curious...and you are right we need more pregnant boob info. on the internet..lol..

MicheleVH responded:
lurking...

I have little 'holes' where each hair is on both of my bb's even when I'm not pg. They're just showing up more now that my bb's are being stretched more.

I just closely studied my arms (I'm blonde so have light colored body hair) and it's hard for me to see the hair but looking closely I can see a dark little indent where each hair is so it's not just on my bb's.

HTH

~Michele

Leayre responded:
I have some areas that are pitted and these weird white hairs are growing from them, not everywhere but in a lot of places on my boobs. I also have a REALLY bad rash on my right boob I'm actually thinking of having checked because it's not going away and itches so bad I can't stand it. It's real scale like, and just gross. I've actually scratched it so much it's raw, and hurts!! Let me know if you find out what these pits are because I do have them as well on about 30% of my boob area.

cyfarianne responded:
Ask and you shall receive. I have always hated my boobs, and the first pregnancy only made them worse, but here is the left boob in all its glory.

My left nipple (not the areola, just the nipple) is much larger than the right now and remains erect much of the time. I also have spider veins all over my boobs now. My breast surgeon said it was completely normal though.

img411.imageshack.us/img411/9645/1002644.jpg

img26.imageshack.us/img26/6854/1002653s.jpg

lol Guess I should have put a TMI in the subject of this thread!

cyfarianne responded:
Leayre, I am not posting this to scare you, so please do not freak out.

A rash that it very itchy and doesn't go away is one of the possible symptoms of inflammatory breast cancer. It probably isn't because it is a very rare cancer, but it is a very serious cancer that can spread in weeks, not months or years so please always have breast changes checked out if they hang around a couple of days. IBC presents during pregnancy frequently and usually does NOT have a lump. The pitted area MAY be Peau D'orange. You can google pictures of it, but it basically looks like the pitted skin of an orange peel.

Here are the lists of symptoms. You MAY only have one symptoms or several. * Swelling, usually sudden, sometimes a cup size in a few days * Itching * Pink, red, or dark colored area (called erythema) sometimes with texture similar to the skin of an orange (called peau d?orange) * Ridges and thickened areas of the skin * Nipple retraction * Nipple discharge, may or may not be bloody * Breast is warm to the touch * Breast pain (from a constant ache to stabbing pains) * Change in color and texture of the areola

Some of the changes are benign and occur normally with pregnancy.

Again you are probably fine. But please go to the doctor. If the rash doesn't clear up within a couple of days of antibiotics or ointment, DEMAND A SKIN BIOPSY. It is the only way to diagnose IBC. Since IBC is so rare, many doctors aren't familiar with it or are misinformed.

cyfarianne responded:
Just wanted to bump this for Leayre...like I said the rash is probably nothing, but I wanted to make sure she saw my message. Does anyone have contact info for her that could forward this along?

MicheleVH responded:
I looked at the pics you posted links to and that is exactly what my bb's look like all the time wether I'm pg or not just like I said in my previous post, even that ugly blue vein running through the middle is the same! I don't think you have anything to worry about.

As for the poster with the itchy bb's, have it checked by your dr, it could very well be a yeast infection. I developed a yeast infection on both of my bb's when I was pg with my DS. Don't let them blow you off either, the dr I had said it was nothing and to just put baby powder on it. It wasn't until it got worse that he finally took a skin scraping to have tested and found it was indeed a yeast infection and had to give me an Rx.

~Michele

Leayre responded:
Wow I will for sure have the doctor check it out. To me the rash (only on the right side and above my bra line if that makes sense) looks like a really dry patch of skin that is just more annoying than anything else and itches like crazy. My e-mail address is Rlm75@comcast.net if you want to chat further, and I can even send you a photo of the rash so you can look at it. Hey since we are in the sharing mode anyway right?? LOL Thanks for the info, I will for sure get it looked at.

griffymama responded:
Mine look like that all the time, honestly. My doc has never ever had any concerns.

cyfarianne responded:
That is so good to no my pincushion boobs are normal! Leayre, I sent you an e-mail. Thanks ladies!!!

cyfarianne responded:
Jso, since I was convinced that my pinholes were early peau d'orange, I just wanted to show a picture of actual peau d'orange I found online.

www.uptodate.com/patients/content/images/ONC/16521/Inflammatory_breast_CA_appe.jpg

MrsRachS responded:
I know this post is 2 years old, but it's the only thing I can find that applies to me! Did it ever go away?

Spotlight: Member Stories

I already have a beautiful 2 yr old girl, Aubrey. Her father lives in TN and isnt really around and I live in MI. And now my boyfriend and I are expec...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.