Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Does anyone
Tiphawee posted:
know of a place you can get cheap things,
ive went to walmart (havent bought anything) but picked things out i wanted and need for the baby to get a idea how much money i need and it all came up to over 1,000 dollars.. not including bottles, diapers, wipes, blankets and small things like that... so i was wondering if anyone new where to get cheaper things.. im very tight on money and ive tried going to this thing called freecycle.org and i could find anyone giving away free baby things.. so.. i need help.
cause i dont have a job due to being 16 and still in school and my moms checks just got cut hugely and i need cheaper things. any ideas?

btw, we havent bought NOTHING yet.. and im almost 17 weeks

MarissasMommy responded:
We have a thrift store nearby and my Mom keeps an eye out for things there. Any thrift store like Goodwill is a good place to start. Also, google "consignment sales" and the name of your city or nearby cities. I've gotten a LOT of great deals on secondhand things at consignment sales. Good luck!

jle09 responded:
I'm not sure of what Walmart's prices are like, because its the one place I haven't priced items at yet. But if you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you, their Baby Depot has a lot of items priced fair.

You could also check places like Kohls, TJ Maxx, and Ross. Kohl's usually runs very good sales, and TJ Maxx and Ross' items are usually cheap but their variety depends on what they've got in stock.

Have you looked into WIC or anything yet?

Tiphawee replied to jle09's response:
No i havent looked into WIC yet, i know they give you some food coupons.. should i look into it now?

jessica5289 replied to Tiphawee's response:
We receive WIC and love it. It is a great help. My 8 month old gets 7 cans of formula and 30 plus jars of baby food a month. I get milk,cheese,juice,eggs,cereal,peanut butter, bread and a $10 fresh fruit and veggie voucher every month. It is a great program.

WorryGirl80 responded:
I found this store in my town AFTER I had my son, but I really liked their price. It's called dd's (ddsdiscounts.com) and they aren't everywhere, so check and see if they have a store around where you live. But I saw a 3-pack of onesies at walmart for about 9.99, dd's has them at about 6.99. And they have tons of other baby stuff. If you don't have this department store, try to find a different discount store around you. Another option we have here is a store called Fallas (factory2-u.com/ ). HTH

jle09 replied to Tiphawee's response:
My understand is that WIC will give you coupons for things like cheese, milk, juices, ect. when you are pregnant.

Ireland05 responded:
You might also try Craig's List. Sometimes people are giving things away or at a really good price!

da1queen_z responded:
here we have a store called "Once Upon a Child" that I absolutey love! they sell gently used baby and kids items, anything from clothes to cribs. They are very reasonable and inexpensive. Also we have several Goodwill and Salvation Army stores that I am always checking for deals.
and YES! get WIC now! in our state you get WIC up until the child is 5yo. (income qualified)
Hang in there girlie... it will all work out for you and your baby!

Rubyl33 replied to da1queen_z's response:
Once Upon a Child is a pretty awesome store. You can even get brand new clothing still with tags for cheap. Definitely look for one of those.

ssf10 replied to Tiphawee's response:
Im young also...Im 20...I get WIC and let me tell you...Its a wonderful help you should really go ahead and see about getting it...they give me vouchers for milk, cheese, eggs, juice, peanut butter, whole wheat bread, beans, rice, fresh fruit or veggies...etc...Its a wonderful program and a great help.

aligd responded:
WIC is a great program and the one I was involved in gave you vouchers when you went to classes for parenting, breastfeeding support groups, etc, to get things from their 'shop'. ?They had clothing, diapers, even strollers and car seats! ?I would get signed up for WIC now, you can get food for yourself when you are pregnant and they will help you find other resources available to you. ?I got an almost new crib from craigslist for very cheap. ?I also shop at lots of rummage sales and find other mom's to swap with. ?Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions! ?I've 'been there!'

scperdomo responded:
Once upon a child where we live is overpriced, Wal-Mart is chaper than OUAC where I live.

Definitely look into WIC because that will help with food. Also, when we had a baby shower, we got a lot of the little things, have you registered yet? You can register at Wal-Mart for things like bottles, etc. If you breastfeed, that will cut out on a few expenses, like bottles and formula. I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind buying cute little baby things for their friend. Also, we didn't do a shower until around the first week of may and I was due the first week of july, before that, we hadn't really bought anything either, so at 17 weeks, I wouldn't be stressing about not having anything.

You said you were 16, have you thought about getting an after school or weekend job? You could probably work at a clothing store or something in the mall and bring in some extra money, you could start putting half of it into a savings account. I work retail and I worked 8 hours days throughout the majority of my pregnancy. I worked for 6 hours on Sunday July 5th and my son was born Monday July 6th.

I don't want to sound all preachy, but if you are mature enough to have sex, then you need to deal with the outcome, and that may mean stepping up to the plate and doing what it takes to provide for yourself and your baby. I am a SAHM during the week and work on the weekends, I work 20hrs in 2 weeks (5hrs Sat & 5 hrs Sun) and will bring home around $280 a month, it's not a whole lot, but for someone like you, who doesn't pay rent or utilities, putting away half that each month can really add up, and then you will have a nice little cushion to buy things that you didn't get at your shower or other little expenses.

Best wishes to you and congrats.

Spotlight: Member Stories

me...i'm 45 and this is my 3rd, son is 20 daughter 11 and due 2/2/12

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.