Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Sleeping Position
happygirly14 posted:
Hello all, this is my first time positng! i have a question about sleeping positions. First of all I am 17wk2days along, and I always seem to wake up on my back (I start out on my side with a pillow between my knees). Is this bad? I have a pregnancy pillow coming this week, so hopefully that will help. Thanks for your advice!

ClosetRocker responded:
I read in the "What to Expect..." book that if you wake up on your back or stomach just roll over onto your side, no need to fret. I think that being flat on your back for an extended period of time is not good but it should be ok if you accidentally end up on your back. Hell, I slept on my stomach up until the end of my 4th month LOL. My body pillow does help to keep me in one position at night (and it's really comfy too), I don't know how I ever got along without it. GL and H&H 9 months to ya!

da1queen_z responded:
I just asked my OB this on my last visit... she said that is not good to sleep on your back (flat on your back), and if you notice that you have moved to that position, move back to your side.
It puts the weight of the baby on your back and pressure on some nerve she mentioned.

It stinks, because since becoming prego, I am more comfortable sleeping on my back, go figure... ;o)

williamswifey responded:
I wake on my back sometimes but not often...It's just not comfortable for me because when I'm on my back I can feel my uterus shifting to the back and it causes a pulling feeling in the front. All of the books say it is better for you to sleep on your baby than for the baby to sleep on you. The baby is protected by the amniotic sac while when you are on your back the weight of the baby, the placenta, the amniotic sac (full of fluid), and the uterus itself are just mashing themselves on your spine. It's actually more harmful to you than the baby...

I fall asleep on my side but end up switching to a half hip-half stomach position because the arm on the side that I'm sleeping on starts to hurt and I half to get off of it.

I would try to stay off of your back but you aren't really doing any harm to the baby by sleeping that way.

happygirly14 replied to williamswifey's response:
Thanks everyone! I have to say I was a little worried, but now I can get a peaceful - if not comfortable - night's sleep!!! You ladies are the best! Good luck to you all!!!!

PGinSJ replied to happygirly14's response:
I heard second hand from an OB GYN RN that you shouldn't worry too much if you end up on your back. Most likely you will become so uncomfortable (once your uterus becomes large enough) and it will wake you up far before you could do any harm. Much like if your arm falls asleep. You always wake up eventually and re-adjust. Like pp said just roll over to your side when you awake. If you think about it your body is really good at signaling when you shouldn't be doing something, kwim?

And I think it's a great idea to use a maternity pillow. I have a body pillow but not one made for maternity. What brand did you purchase if you don't mind me asking? And through where?

DaleCDean29 responded:
I am a back sleeper well should say was but when I want to get on my back I stick a pillow under on side of my butt that way I am still tilted to the side but kinda on my back. Its comfy for me cause my ribs start to hurt from sleeping on my side.

yogadog replied to DaleCDean29's response:
I do that too, sticking a long pillow under one side of my back to force me to stay off my flat back. I think it's the sciatic nerve you're avoiding on this.

tabby62010 replied to yogadog's response:
Because I have heartburn, sleeping on the right side makes it worse. My only option is the Left side, and it's getting boring and it hurts my hip. Sometimes I find myself on my back but I turn right away.

I guess I have to put up with it for another 3 months!

mcelroy07 replied to yogadog's response:
I agree with the two pp. I put my body pillow under my left or right side and then lay tilted but not flat on my back. It helps take the pressure of my shoulder and hips.

imreddy responded:
I thought you didn't want to sleep on your back (flat) when pregnant because the baby could push on your veins and arteries that supply the lower half of your body (and possibly your spine). I know that I always slept on my stomach until recently, when it started getting to uncomfortable. Now I lay on my left side (I get sick to my stomach lately if I sleep on my right) and then roll to my back when I can't sleep that way anymore. However, I prop up the right side of my body with a pillow so that I am not laying flat. That is a LOT more comfortable than laying flat anyway.

Michelle8778 responded:
I actually have a pregnancy pillow as well and I keep walking up on my stomach.. I was feeling really bad cuz no matter what I do I keep walking up like that.. I asked my doc at my last visit if it was ok and she said its fine.. If there was a problem you'd know.. And sometimes I do.. I can tell when he's on one side or the other and I can't even lay on my side.. I think getting your rest is really important and if your doc says its ok then get comfy..

HoneyBbabyT responded:
Like the other posters have said, don't worry if you end up on your back....just adjust back to your side when you wake up. I'm a very wild sleeper and thought getting a pregnancy pillow would stop me from moving around so much...NOT! lol. No matter how I stuff my Preggle pillow around me, I still end up on my back, or my right side, or smashed up against DH lol. But I always wake up when I'm on my back for too long and just roll over onto my left side again.
Funny side note: Your vena cava (sorry about spelling) is the major artery that gets compromised when you lie on your back and blood flow is restricted. It's located just to the right of your spinal cord, so although sleeping on your back is bad, sleeping on your right side is not much better. I'm glad I read that in my pregnancy journal book b/c I would wake up w/ all my limbs numb from sleeping on my right side...I don't do that anymore! lol

happygirly14 replied to HoneyBbabyT's response:
The pregnancy pillow I purchased was on Wal-Mart.com, but I don't remember the exact brand. I do know it was not Leacho, and it was just at $40. Hope this helps!

It makes sense to think that your body would let you know somehow if a position was bad for you or the baby. thanks for the reassurance everyone!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a navy wife who just moved from South Carolina to San Diego, CA. This is my first pregnancy and my amazing husband and I are very excited to a...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful