Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
getting scared
mommyof3kiddos posted:
Just found out at 20wk u/s today that I am having twins. We are happy but I decided to read up on twins and now freaked myself out. I don't go back to the doctor for another two and a half weeks. So for those of you that are having twins what has your doctors told you? Do they automatically want to schedule an induction or c/s? What have they told you about your chances of a regular vaginal delivery? Oh and what have they told you about making it to 37wks? I am freaking out. Do you think I am being silly to call and see if I can schedule an earlier appointment with the ob or should I just relax and wait the two weeks?

ReneeErin responded:
I can't answer most of your questions but I think the doctor would schedule your appointment for the appropriate time, so I wouldn't worry about it too much =) I have a terrible time waiting for each doctors appointment and always want to have them closer together!!

KLN777 responded:
I'm sorry that I can't give you any twin info, but I definitely think it's not at all sill to call an schedule your appt earlier if you have concerns. Finding out at 20 wks that you're having twins must be a big surprise and there is no reason to stress if you don't have to. It's not good for you or them. If it would make you feel better, I say change the appt and get your questions answered. Congratulations on your twins and best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
Now I am thinking about once the babies are here and starting to freak more.

stephine143 replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
i have twins that are now 6 yrs old..i had a c section because baby b was breech and i was only 32 weeks...some dr.'s will let you have a normal birth and see if baby b will turn after baby a is born..it is not scary either way..they will talk to you about it more at your other appts..try to relax and enjoy it....i had 3 young kids when i had the twins and it was non stop but i loved every min of it...as i am sure you will..i am now 19 weeks with number 6...good luck and try to relax and enjoy it..

AbbeyCalvinMosesBoom responded:
I know it is a lot to take in, I found out I was having twins at my 6 week ultra - sound and am now 15 weeks.

My Dr. said that we will try a vaginal delivery but it is really up to the kids and how they are positioned. I don't think many of us twins mommy's make it to 37 weeks, so I just assume I will be going in the beginning of September instead of the 25th as thought.

Just relax and enjoy your time. Think of all the doubles you have to buys now...he he! Did you find out what they were?

eastonsmom1 responded:
I found out I was having twins at my 7 week u/s. I have a two year old little boy, and I too was VERY shocked!! I have been going every two weeks since then!! My doctor said I could try to have them vaginally if I felt comfortable with it, AND if both babies were head down.

I have my big u/s next Tuesday to find out the sex........I am soooo excited!! I can't wait.

GL.....I know exactly how you feel right now. I have already had to buy a van because all my carseats wouldn't fit in the back of my Equinox!!

As far as the 37 weeks, my doc said it is just a wait and see kind of thing!! Good Luck........What a blessing!!!

imreddy responded:
Okay, I had written quite a bit and tried to post it the first time. I guess it timed out before it posted...very irritating.

First, congratulations on your twin girls!!! Second, stop freaking out, you'll be fine and so will your girls. You are already a proven mommy of three - two more won't throw off your groove that much and the other children will be able to help as well. I would wait the two weeks to see your doctor and ask those questions. It'll fly by since you'll be making so many extra plans.

As far as inducing and c-sections - my doctor hasn't talked to me about either yet, and I'm 23 weeks along - we've known since 6w3d about the twins. She mentioned that I likely won't carry past 37 weeks (yay! that's three weeks sooner that I will get to hold my little girls!). I doubt they will try to induce or do a c-section unless they anticipate problems. I would like to try delivering both naturally and just have them turn the breech one.

Calm down, though! You'll be fine and so will your girls!

Jennax907 responded:
I have had four different girlfriends that have delivered twins vaginally. I actually don't know anyone personally that had twins and delivered by c-section. I know at the clinic that I go to they wont let you go past 38 weeks. They all got induced with Cervadil..So, what a blessing to have two babies!!

beachkiwi replied to Jennax907's response:
Congrats I am 20 weeks myself with boy/girl twins! I felt like I won the lottery the day I found out there were two - but I am 39 and have no other children.

OK delivery wise if baby A is not head down you are heading for a C-section. If both babies are head down (40% of cases) you can delivery vaginally. The other situation baby A head down, baby B breach is a toss up which as far as I can tell might depend on your doctor and/or hospital policy. I have heard of folks here in the US allowed to deliver vaginally in this situation and others who are required to have a c-section. When I first asked my Dr about it he said C-section but I am going to quizz him some more now that I have found out that other folks have recently delivered vaginally this way. I am a member of a pretty good on-line twin forum. you can find it at raising-twins dot com. It is nice to be able to ask questions of folks all of whom are twin experienced! I have gotted great feed back to all sort of questions I had.

As far as carrying to term goes. I think you can rule out a 40 week pregnancy. 38 weeks seems to be the longest they let twin pregnancies carry and have read varying statistics about the average length of a twin pregnancy 36-37 weeks. Anyway I have just come to the conclusion that there is a lot more variability that comes with term length for two - so you just have to go more with the flow. There are so many things that can happen to influence the delivvery date and method it is just not possilbe to get your wheels spun up about it. Trust me I probably would have been looking for a natural child birth if this was a singleton but I quickly realized that with two its just not going to happen. Ultimately when I realized what I really wanted was two healthy babies and came to grips with the fact that historically with twins there was only a 50% chance that you wound up with two babies after birth - I was happy to accept that there is just going to be more intervention. Anyway it took me a few weeks to come to grips with the change to my thinking but you will get there.

I am still stuggling to come to grips with the cost of child care for 2 but I suppose I will come to accept that also!

Alison

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.