Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
packing bags
mommyof3kiddos posted:
I know it's pretty early still to be thinking about this but when is everything going to pack their hospital bag? I am thinking I want mine done between 30-32wks because I'm having twins. I usually don't pack until closer to 34-35wks. Just curious what everyone else is thinking.

UGAmomof2 responded:
I don't think I've ever packed a bag early, BUT I've always been medically induced (37 & 39 wks). With this being the third, I'm thinking I will prolly pack one around 35 wks. With twins I would pack earlier. HTH!!

KLS0228 replied to UGAmomof2's response:
Omg, I didn't worry about packign with DD becuase "you probably won't go into labor early since its your first!" BLAH! WHATEVER!!! I todl DH at 34 weeks I should probably pack a bag, and he responce "You don't need to do that its pretty early." I delivered at 35 weeks!!!!! So this tiem I already started packing my bag adn I am only 16 weeks!!! LOL!!! But I had to depend on DH to get everything I needed from home (which he forgot underwear, bra, my nursing pads, ect.) becuase I had NOTHING packed! LOL!! You can never pack ot early I say! LOL!!!

BabyDems responded:
I think I am going to pack around 30wks...only because I am just too excited to meet my little one!! LOL.

Tiphawee responded:
im not sure when i will pack mine, seeing this is my first, but i feel im having him earlier.. cause if i did the math right i got pregnant in October not November.. because me and my fiancee broke up in the beginning of November and he moved out so we didnt DTD all that month, and December 9th i found out i was pregnant. i also had i light period in November..

but anywho

what do you need to pack for the hospital bag? and how many days do you usually have to stay.

Bandia1206 responded:
Well I'm having a singleton.. lol. I plan to have my bags packed by 35 weeks or so. I figure that's good timing. I think 30-32 sounds good for a twin pregnancy :)

figgie0905 replied to Tiphawee's response:
I have my nursing tanks, bathrobe, and summer yoga pants and baby clothing & cloth diapers packed but I have a list for my husband to make sure I grab when we do need to go. I"m almost 28 weeks, but I probably won't pack pj's and undies until about 30-32 weeks.
My DH has to go on a Navy training thing from June 4th-18th and July 8th-11th (my due date is July 13th) So I'm REALLY hoping that the week or after he comes back in June is when we go in, but I really am not sure with this being my first....

KityKatK8 responded:
Gosh, I haven't even thought of packing yet. Probably should do that... With DD I ended up barely using anything I took, as I recall, though, even with staying 5 days for the c/s! I lived in the hospital gown and had a bathrobe from Goodwill I had picked up so I wouldn't have to take my good bathrobe to the hospital and be exposed to all those germs.

One thing I was planning on taking this time that I don't recall ever being on a list of things to pack is a resealable pack of diaper wipes. The ones at our hospital are dry and when you wet them they are as soft as sandpaper. And you have to wipe all that meconium off with it! Uh Uh I'm packing some nice wipes for this kid!

So I'm definately taking the Goodwill bathrobe again and I'll pack a nursing tank and an outfit for me to go home in (pretty much the same thing I arrived in!) and an outfit for the baby to go home in. I'm not sure about pjs since I seem to prefer the hospital gown when I'm there. Maybe some granny panties in case I'm up for it, but with DD and the c/s, I took days to get out of those mesh panties they give you, LOL! This time around I'm hoping for a VBAC, so I'll only be there 2 days past the delivery. It seems like that is barely enough time to bother to pack, compared to the 5 days I was there before, but maybe I'll feel more like wearing clothes than before.

*When* will I pack? Probably a lot closer to 34-36 weeks. I only just reached 22 weeks, so I have time left to think about it.

bvgirl replied to Tiphawee's response:
pack comfortable clothes because you will still be big after you deliver. Take extra undies, nursing bras/pads if you are planning on nursing, loose pants, warm socks (your feet will get cold), pads (the hospital will give you some). Most vaginal deliveries usually stay 24-48 depending on if there were complications and most C-sections stay 72. It's better to pack too much than not have enough. With my first I ended up with a c-section and while I had enough clothes, but I didn't have enough for my son (bad mommy). I went to the gift shop and bought him an outfit. Good luck.

mommyof3kiddos replied to KityKatK8's response:
With each kid I pack less and less. I over packed with DS and barely touched anything. With DD and DD2 I did better. I do like taking my own big undies and pjs but I am not a heavy bleeder and have never ruined anything so I am not worried about that. Heck I don't think that I will even pack the video camera. Just the regular camera. Last time I never even used it until after we got home. Lol The way things change with each kid.

sarahdud responded:
I probably will pack around 34 weeks. I like to have everything ready. However, I don't pack a whole lot. I too prefer to use the hospital gown while I am there and just bring a robe along. I prefer to use the mesh underwear as well (I don't want to ruin any of mine). Then I will pack some comfy clothes like yoga type pants and a nursing tank and shirt to come home in. Of course I will have the last min bathroom items (toothebrush/paste, hair brush, etc) and cameras to throw in. The first time around I packed way too much and didn't use most of it. Oh, I do like to bring the boppy pillow along too. This is #3 and it seems like each pregnancy I bring less and less.

tdub089 replied to sarahdud's response:
Just lurking from 3rd Tri:

Hmm I am currently 32w 3d and this is my first..so I assume I will start packing between 34-36 weeks...I feel so lost about all of this packing bag thing..I dont want to pack too much and I dont want to pack too little ugh! lol

peachyisthelife responded:
Probably about 37w, not likely to go into labor before then.

AbbeyCalvinMosesBoom responded:
I agree - I think 30-32 weeks is good for a twin pregnancy. That is when I plan on doing it and leaving everything in the car. HE HE! I think by that time I will be at weekly visits, so if they say "WE HAVE TO GO" we are ready! :-) Plus I am an hour and 20 mins from the hospital, so that helps to be prepared earlier!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me (31) DH (31) DD 08/09 EDD 09/06/10 It's a girl!

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful