Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
bassinets - first time mommy question
mommy_a posted:
I think there was a post earlier about bassinets, but I cannot find it right now, so please forgive me if this is a redundant question.

Do you all think getting a bassinet as well as a crib is a good idea? Friends have told me that when they are little they don't like sleeping in cribs.
So is it that newborns sleep in bassinets, and then as they grow a little older, they move to cribs?

Would you all experiences mommies say bassinets are a must-buy item?

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!
FirstPrevious12NextLast

peachyisthelife responded:
No, I would not have bought a bassinet for my first child if I weren't given one like I was. It's really nice to have, but unless I had loads of money, I wouldn't have bought one. Do you plan on getting a pack n play? Those can feel a little more snug than a crib might. And it's easy to keep in your bedroom. Bassinets are nice, maybe ask around if anyone has one to borrow, give, or sell to you. Also try craigslist. I think, if I weren't given one, I would probably look for a cheap used one to buy-just not buy new.

mkdawn06 responded:
I love using a bassinet for like the frist 3 months or so. Its easy to keep it in our room by the bed. Instead of having to get up and go to the other room where the crib is. With our daughter once she started sleeping almost all night i switched her to the crib which was about when she turned 3 mo old. I was given a hand me down bassinet. But i know a lot of people that just use a play pen. It might be cheaper. And get a lot more use out of a play pen anyways.

ClosetRocker responded:
Blame it on me being weird but something about bassinets totally creep me out. They make me think of coffins or something. I know, I know that's weird but I can never shake the thought so I refuse to use one. I do plan on getting the pack and play that has a little crib (or whatever) on top.

mommyof3kiddos responded:
They are nice to have but I wouldn't consider them a must have. You can get some bassinets cheap on Walmart.com. Like the pp wrote you can get a pack-n-play with the bassinet feature and use that too. I have had one in the past but this time I am planning on putting the babies right in their cribs. My house is too small for extra stuff.

tamliz08 replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
I prefer the bassinet on the pack n play. Leah would not sleep in the bassinet we had for her, but she slept in the pnp for months.

Bassinets are so small. They outgrow them very quickly!!

KLS0228 responded:
We were just going to use our pack and play becuase it has a bassinet part to it, but then my mom bought us this great bassinet!! So, we used teh bassinet and it had storage under it and was on wheels!!! So, it was perfect to be able to roll it form the bedroom to the living room when I was staying at home!! She slept in the bassinet until she was about three months I think. I loved having the bassinet because it was so easy to move and it had the storage on it for diapers and stuff!!! LOL! :) I honestly don't know if it a must buy item. We would have been fine wiht using our pack and play, but then my mom bought it for us.

FloralMom responded:
For DS we borrowed my DH's cousins bassinet. It fit right next the the bed for those late night feedings, easy access for checking on LO in the middle of the night, etc. They only fit in til they are about 15lbs or until they can roll, but they do fit nicely in there swaddled! Since then we gave the bassinet back to DH's cousin just in case she had more kids and this time around I didn't feel like borrowing again, so I found one at a consignment sale for $25.00 - it's in perfect shape, I just took it apart and washed the fabric - it's ready to go!!

I love bassinets, but they are only used for a short while, so I'd say borrow or buy used if you can, since they can cost a pretty penny new!

mommy_a responded:
Oh, thank you so much for all the info, guys.

I had never thought about a pack and play till now. It wasn't on any of the online baby checklists I was looking at.

I almost feel like crying now, considering how little I do know about baby things!! :( :( :(

Thank you all for your help I will definitely look at pack and plays now.

mommyof3kiddos replied to KLS0228's response:
The more I think about it the more I have to say if you're going to buy a pnp or a bassinet I would opt for the bassinet. Like KLS0228 wrote you have the storage at the bottom and can roll around room to room. A lot of the regular size pack-n-plays can move through doors. Or atleast I have heard. I have a small travel size pack-n-play. It is smaller than the normal pnp. Between the two pick the bigger regular size pnp because they do make great playpens as they get older and they would have more room.

Angela03102 responded:
We used a hand me down bassinet for our DS and I loved it. It fit great next to the bed and was able to be raised tall enough that I could roll over, grab Ethan and pull him into bed to nurse. We switched him to his crib at 7 weeks old cause I went back to work at 8 weeks. For a freebie it was a great find! I plan to use it again with our little girl to be, especially since they extended maternity leave to 12 weeks in my company! DH and I were very nervous about having a baby in bed with us while totally asleep so we have to find another solution other than DD sharing a room with our son the first few months :)

mommy_a replied to Angela03102's response:
thank you both, too for the tips.. I will keep that in mind :)

emyjo83 responded:
I had a bassinet with the first two. Went great with DS but with DD, she hated it and wouldn't sleep in it and slept with us for the first three months. Thankfully, I was able to borrow bassinets the first two times. However, this time I don't think I will be able to find anyone with a bassinet. So, my question is, has anyone considered the small baskets? They have different variations of the Moses basket. What if I bought one of those (which you can really move around the house! :) ) and then put it down inside the pack and play during the first few months. I hope this doesn't sound to crazy but I really don't want to buy a bassinet.

PGinSJ replied to emyjo83's response:
I heard a cosleeper bassinet is the best option if you are planning on breastfeeding and want to keep him/her in your room at first. You basically attach the baby at your mattress level and just roll over, whip out your boob and feed them. That's what I'm getting. But cons I have heard are that the baby may keep you up with every little noise. It's just personal preference. I think if you swaddle the baby well he/she won't care how big their sleeping place is. I did register for some of those swaddle wraps, I hear they are a necessity which is the same thing I heard about the cosleeper.

Shani_girl responded:
I loved my bassinet for all 4 of my girls. It was very helpful with bf at night. I got mine at a garage sale if you don't want to spend a ton of money on one check garage sales or craigslist.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am currently a SAHM to my amazing little man, who is 3.5. I am in school finishing up my degree in Speech Therapy. My husband is Active Duty Army an...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.