Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Down Syndrome Blood Test
IsabellaMommy22706 posted:
Hey Ladies

I assume this is an optional test for most. We chose to do the test and now some friends are telling me I shouldnt have because of the false positive rate. Just wanted to see how many of you are going to do it, already did it, what were your results etc? Thoughts....

TIA
FirstPrevious12NextLast

flutterbymama2be responded:
I am not going to do the test. My BF and I both agree that it is not worth the stress. We would not terminate the pregnancy for any reason, so it doesn't really matter. This gift we have is a blessing no matter how it is "wrapped". I am praying for a healthy baby with no complications of course, but what is meant to be will be. Just my pregnancy is proof of that.

nharvey2010 responded:
We did the blood test to check for different things, but decided that no matter what the result I would not have the amnio to further test for downs syndrome. My sister has down syndrome so as pp said it doesnt matter to us how our baby is born, we will love him no matter what. But we do pray for a healthy baby. My mom had all the test done while prego with my sister and her results came back negative, but my sister was born with downs. I think it is just a personal decision, some people want to know so that they can prepare theirselves for anything that may be wrong.

FloralMom responded:
I highly recommend this test. I have had a child with a severe neural tube defect and the only way we knew at first was with the Quad screen test - it tests for the possibility of Down Syndrome and Neural tube defects.

Would I terminate a pregnancy? Never! However, I did used to work with physically and mentally handicapped children and they have many different needs and it is a tremendous help to know the condition and to know how to best help your child, if there are health/developemental issues.

Not all of these conditions are visible through ultrasound and if they are, they are so slight, that even trained technicians wouldn't see them unless they were really searching. I have been on these boards before with women who opted not to test and at birth, found out that LO had Downs. This created a whole new world. Not only are they caring for a newborn but a newborn with serious issues that require serious attention.

It's a simple blood test, yes, it can cause a little unnecissary worry, but isn't that worth it to be best prepared to care for a child if special needs arise?

Knowledge is power. It's best to know and be prepared. Ignorance will only leave you regreting if there is a problem down the road.

orin34 responded:
"Lurking from 3rd tri"
I wish I had done some research prior to getting this test done... Like others' we would not have terminated the pregnancy and I am at "low risk". I was laid off in June and when we had the test done I asked the nurse specifically if it costs anything extra or if our insurance covered it(We don't have money to throw away now that I am unemployed). She said it would cost us NOTHING. . . You can imagine my surprise when I got a bill for $180.....

Bandia1206 replied to FloralMom's response:
I agree with Floral. I had my quad screen done (it's standard in my office though, and I wasn't asked lol). I would never consider terminating if my LO had any deformality or issue. I would choose to continue the pregnancy, even if I knew there was no chance of survival (given it was something more severe than downs).

I for one, would like to know before I go into labor. I don't want something like that just thrown at me. I would need time to accept it, cope, and learn more about it so that I could be fully prepared to care for my child. I feel as if it's a good idea, like I said, so that you can be prepared :).

flutterbymama2be responded:
I agree in a way about being prepared, but this test only has a chance of being right. You could "prepare" yourself for a child with a multitude of problems, and they could come out perfectly healthy.

I really don't appreciate the ignorance comment. We are all entitled to our own opinions. I have worked with handicapped people for years with disabilities ranging from behavior handicaps, to autisim, to severe motor impairment and cerebral palsy. I think I am as prepared as I can be, and in no way, shape, or form am I ignorant.

ReneeErin replied to flutterbymama2be's response:
I chose not to due to a friend's false positive that led to a lot of worry! I worry enough as it is =)

flutterbymama2be replied to ReneeErin's response:
I couldn't agree more. Same here.

risdiane responded:
Its certainly a personal choice, but I know my first time around my feeling was downs would not result in termination for me. What I was not aware of was the possibility of having a baby that is not viable outside the womb. You may choose to carry that child all the way through, but it is not a surpise you want to get.
I agree with Floral - Knowledge is power. Its non invasive and easily done. Up to you but for me - if the child was going to have special needs I would want as much time as possible to prepare and if it wasnt going to be viable I wouldnt want the surprise.

DaleCDean29 responded:
I was never asked if I wanted to do the test or not its just done here. But my results came back fine and the u/s was fine as well.

Honestly knowing how many false positives there are really wouldn't concern me now if there were lots of false negatives where there was a problem and no one knew till birth that would scare me.

mommytoaddi responded:
Ok...I didn't have it done with my first because I didn't want to worry myself either way it was going to be fine. Well for some nagging feeling we had decided to have it done this time and I am so glad because when I went in for my 20 week ultrasound they found he is a 2 vessel umbical cord baby...which is fine as long as there are no other "markers" for other things. So when my dr said there wasn't any "markers" and my quad screen test came back great it put my mind at ease. Just remember there could be other reasons you want the information of the quad screen. It might be a blessing.

SunConure responded:
I did it and my results were completely normal. To be honest with you I forgot about the test after I had it done and the doctor's office called a week later to give me the results and I was like omg I forgot I had it done! I didn't stress about it, because it wouldn't change anything about the pregnancy, we just wanted to be prepared before hand.

terricody responded:
Im not doing the test...I have one dd who was born with turner's syndrome (my 1st child) and refuse to do the test..with the amount of things happening with this pg already would just add more stress and that is not what i need right now..just like other pp said i would change my mind and i do believe alot of woman are giving false positives..

terricody replied to SunConure's response:
back years ago when i had my dd when i was a teen i didn't find out until her 11th bday cuz of the mild characterics(sp) so to me it was a surprise after all those years..there is no guanente that results will be 100% accurate..

Spotlight: Member Stories

Due September 29th with our first child.

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.