Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
LO heart rate ?
KJhappymom posted:
Had a d/a yesterday. The hearbeat was 145, what's the wives tale about the speed? I know that faster usually means girl - but what is fast?

p.s. I'm really hoping for blue!

FloralMom responded:
IDK? DS was always in the 160's and at my apt yesterday the heart rate was in the 150's...

I'm thinking pink as much as I can (after 2 boys, a girl would be nice)

Sending you some BLUE vibes!

Taylove11 responded:
If I remember right the OWT is that 150 and under is supposed to be a boy and 150 and over is supposed to be a girl.

It wasn't right for me. Our little girl's HB has always been in the 140's. :)

I hope you get what you're hoping for!

PGinSJ replied to Taylove11's response:
I have heard that this wives tale only applies to when you are in labor.

"One belief that has been around for some time, and even had some acceptance in the medical community at one point, is that the fetal heartbeat differs for boys and girls. If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140. However, that pesky science has reared its little head again to say that this is complete fiction. A baby's heart rate is not affected by its sex until it is born, when a girl's heart rate will increase considerably compared with boys during labor."

KLS0228 responded:
Well, DD heartrate was 143 and this baby's has been 155ish. So, I dont' know. I dont' really believe the old wives tales becuase they were ALL wrong with DD! LOL!! :)

SunConure responded:
I am having a girl and she is always 150-160 bpm, but my sister had a boy and his was the same, so you can't go by that.

yvetteb81 responded:
hello,
my lil boy has a heart rate around 160, i think old wives tales are fun but rarely acurate..good luck.:)

terricody responded:
I just looked it up the other day for fun and it said below 140 boy over that girl..

I really don't believe in that either just the chinese predition says im having a girl and my baby/s h/b has been higher then 150 so everything i tried says girl (which im hoping for)

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Erica, 24 and live in Maine with my husband 25. Expecting our first 9/14/10. (One day after our two year anniversary) Currently just the t...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.