Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Breastfeeding or bottle feeding?
jmrb0414 posted:
I am trying to decide if I want to once again attempt breastfeeding or not. With my son I couldn't do it, my body just wasn't producing. Then within the first week he got a bad case of thrush in his mouth. I remember how frustrating it was, and how painful. And that was only fir the first 2 weeks!!

Since then I have seen several friends breastfeed and they seem to always miss out on things because they had to go to a separate room to feed.

So now I am wondering if i should just pass on the breastfeeding. I know it's best, and cheaper....Any recommendations?

scperdomo responded:
You know all the benefits, you don't need us to lay that out. As far as "missing out on things", you don't have to go in another room, invest in a nursing cover and you can stay right there.

BFing is also a lot more convenient in that there are no bottles to deal with, formula to pack and stinky diapers to deal with (BF poop doesn't stink like formula poop, trust me!!)

If you can make it past the first 6 weeks of BFing, then the rest is usually a breeze. If you can't then give it up. But the choice is ultimately up to you.

But don't make the decision based on what you think you might miss because you might have to go in another room for 15 minutes (more or less depending in the type of eater your LO will be). If it was honestly a bad experience for you then don't do it again, but it might be completely different this time. You won't know until you try. A few things to remember:
  • You need to consume an additional 500 calories per day to maintain supply
  • You need to stay well hydrated. Drink LOTS of water
  • You need to get some rest (difficult w/ a newborn, we know, but try)
  • Try not to get too stressed, also hard, but you've just had a baby, just try to enjoy it!!
  • Oatmeal is known to help with supply
  • Brewers Yeast can also help (go ahead and that beer)
Also remember that if you aren't enjoying it, your LO might not be either. A happy mom is more essential to a LO than getting BM so make sure you are taking care of yourself. Good luck with your decision!!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
I know how you feel. I tried with my DS and it was just SO hard. I had a lot of problems and ended up quitting at 3wks. I bottle fed from the start with my DD1. With DD2 I wanted to try again. It was a bit easier but then DD got thrush and it made things harder. But I nursed her until about 8wks before giving up.

I know breastfeeding it best but at the same time don't think it's for everyone. If you want to breastfeed that's great. If you want to go straight to formula that's great too. I think it's important to do what's best for you.

Now I was planning on breastfeeding when I found out I was pregnant. Once I found out that I'm having twins I decided to just bottle feed. I can't imagine trying to nurse twins. But I was going to nurse until I didn't want to anymore. I wasn't going to put a lot of pressure on myself like I did the first time when I had DS. I think that's one reason it went some much smoother with DD2 because I didn't stress myself out about it.

jessica5289 replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
I know if your heart isn't in it, you wont be successful. I have the desire to nurse but I can't produce enough. we tried everything the lactation consultant recommended up until she recommended buying meds off the internet from other countries. I can't do that. It just seemed crazy. I will nurse as much as I can for as long as I can. Typically about 3 months. This is #4 for us and I know 99% of her nutrition will come from a bottle but that's ok. I gave it my all. I'm glad we have formula and you don't have to hire wet nurse. That's just weird. But do what you feel comfortable with. It all works out in the end.

UGAmomof2 replied to jessica5289's response:
We ALL know the benefits of breastfeeding (it's pretty much forced down our throats), however I'm in the same boat as alot of women. I wanted to BF, I paid for the classes, bought all the odds and ends to help AND paid for a laction consultant afterwards. Even with meds, I was unable to BF. Then DD got thrush and I got mastitis. Just fab..lol. I was an emotional wreck for the entire 12 weeks and when I bottle fed I felt like a failure. Can we say self induced depression?

My DS was bottle fed (because of a medical condition) from day one. He has always been at the top of the class and other than the medical cond he was born with, super healthy. DD however, has had 12 ear inf. the first year alone and tubes. She developed a milk allergy for the first year and her special formula alone cost us $400 a month. BTW she was fine on Similac at first until I kept trying BF.

I'm not saying what you should or shouldn't do. I think the Colustrum (liquid gold) at the beginning is super great for babies. Personaly, I will try and let her get that at first, BUT will be exclusive bottle feeding hopefully within the first week. This is my last and I want to enjoy every second, instead of worrying.

Tons of hugs!!!

yvetteb81 replied to UGAmomof2's response:
plan to breast for a month and then bottle, hopefully anyway.
With my first, i tried to bf him it only lasted 3 weeks and i wasnt producing enough milk he was waking up every hour screaming, it was horriable, then i got formula and he slept better and was happy, he is 7 very bright and happy.
i agree with another lady, dont do it if your heart isnt in it...
good luck mate

BelleMorte08 responded:
I plan to BF as long as possible, but this is my frist...so I have no idea how well it will work.

A previous poster mentioned a nursing cover, I personally feel that a blanket will do the same job. I think a nursing cover is just a fancy, funny shaped baby blanket anyway, and you'll get plenty of blankets as gifts I'm sure. Just a thought, before you spend an extra $10-25 on a nursing cover when you have blankets at home.

AbbeyCalvinMosesBoom responded:
With the twins I would like to breastfeed - but I am not exactly sure how it is going to work - so the plan is to keep both options open. These are my first babies - so I have no idea really what to expect.

My advice - you know the pros and cons to both scenarios - so just be prepared for both and which ever one works and is easier for you then that is great!! There is no harm in trying to BF - an there is no harm in saying NOPE to it either.

Good Luck,
Toni

williamswifey responded:
I tried to breastfeed with my son also and couldn't do it. His latch was all wrong (which was my fault and not his), and my right breast didn't produce any milk at all.

I have since had and ultrasound done on my right breast and a subsequent duct work on the same so I don't expect that problem again. I have discovered where I went wrong with the latch so I will remedy that when the time comes.

I totally recommend breastfeeding. I was disappointed in myself for not being able to do it for my son. I don't worry about missing out on any moments due to leaving the room to feed my child. There is nothing more important to me than insuring the health of my LO.

That's my recommendation...breastfeed by all means!!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married to my husband since Sept 2009 and expecting his first (my second) Feb 6. This is especially exciting and nerve racking for us b/c we went thro...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.