Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Breastfeeding
mommysway posted:
ok girls...i am going to be a 1st time mommy and i need some help with breastfeeding questions. i plan to try breastfeeding and pumping but need help on what kind of pump to get. Ive researched alot of pumps, but its all so confusing to me. ive heard a ton of great things about the medela brand..but i dont want to pay that much for a breastpump. if its truly the best than i will try to save up until i deliver for it....but again if theres another pump thats cheaper but still does a great job than i would rather try that. i know that i want an electric one...and one that pumps both breast at the same time....i will be going back to work full time and i need something portable so i can pump at work. so for those of you that have pumped please tell me what pump you used, what you thought about it, and how much it cost?
THANKS IN ADVANCE:)

Jaylonsmama responded:
Have you checked with your doctor / hospital to see if they rent pumps? I know mine rents and they are medela, not sure how reasonable they are to rent but it might be something to look into. My sister borrows me her's I can't remember off had what brand it is but it was from Target, they still sell it around here, it is an electric double pump and I want to say she paid around $125 or so.

roni090909 responded:
I would definitely go with the Medela Pump In Style, especially since your going back to work. You can use the 20% off BRU coupons on them. And wait to buy it until close to LOs arrive just incase you need to return it.

KityKatK8 responded:
I would recommend both options from the PP. Since you don't know how your milk supply will go (hopefully well, usually does), you might want to rent a pump at first to make sure everything is working well (at least a month).

Assuming everything goes well, you will want a high quality ($$) pump. My sister and I prefer Medela. You may want to check in with any breastfeeding support groups in your area (a good idea in general) as they may have thoughts, and the Lactation Consultant at your hospital may also be a useful contact.

GL!

scperdomo responded:
I recommend a Medela Pump in Style Advanced. It's a double electric and has great portability. I take mine to work everyday (I have the one that looks like a backpack).

I got mine brand new on ebay for $200. I did a TON of research because I was hesitant to spend a lot of money. But after reading hundreds of reviews on other pumps, the Medela came out on top. Sure you could get a cheaper one and it might work fine, but the odds are not in favor of that. Medela specializes in breast pumps. They make the hospital grade breast pumps, that nearly all hospitals use. The Pump in Style is very close to the hospital grade pump.

In this case, you really do get what you pay for, so I would start saving and get one that you know you can depend on. Good luck!

mommysway responded:
have been looking into breastpumps and i am pretty sure i want to buy the Medela pump in style advance. my next question is....is it ok to use this 2nd hand. i found several good deals for the breastpump i want, but its been used by a previous patient. is this ok? i know they have kits at BRU with the tubing. i have heard that its ok to use others breast pumps as long as you change the tubing, and the milk doesnt feed into the pump itself. does anyone know if the medela pump in style advance is ok to use when its not brand new?

roni090909 replied to mommysway's response:
You are going to hear both sides for this. Personally if I knew the person or if it was only used a couple of times, I would have no problem with a used one. I would definitely replace all the tubes and shields. If you rent one at the hospital they are always used, you just buy the kit to use with it.

beccadita80 replied to mommysway's response:
I just talked with my SIL about this last weekend. She had some really good advise. She said that I should rent for the 1st month from the hospital. You never know if your milk is going to come in enough to breastfeed at all. You might hate it and just want to use formula. Or you might not like the automatic ones and want the self pump ones. They are easier for transporting and using. If it works out great you can find used good ones off craigslist. She said that you will get brand new tubing from the hospital when you rent for free! You can also purchase the tubing for around 20 bucks. HTH good luck!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Nicki (35) and I am the proud "Mommy" of my son (10) and daughter (2) and one on the way. PRAISE THE LORD !! My husband (35) a...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.