Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Is painting bad?
Rfirstlilone26 posted:
Hello
So i have heard that its not to good to paint while your pregnant,But then i have seen a women do it, Me and my b/f are going to start getting babys room really soon we just ordered the crib, but i wanted to paint 2 walls to match the bedding, also i need to do some touch ups around the house to, so can someone help me if its safe to do just a little i dont want to have my b/f do all the work..I would ask my midwife but im not going to see her for another few more weeks..

Thanks much ladies..Ashley

ttrishh responded:
Paints are not nearly as toxic as they use to be, as long as you are using latex not oil based paint and you ensure that you have good ventilation it is fine. I just painted my nursery and I am going to do the basement in a few weeks (I come from a family of painters so I think that is my natural instinct when I am nesting, I can't just clean the house I have to paint it!)

ReneeErin replied to ttrishh's response:
It's best to use a low or no VOC paint. This kind is safer. Also, make sure you have plenty of ventilation!!

mommyof3kiddos responded:
Also make sure to drink plenty of water while you're working and rest often. I painted our bedroom when I was 15 weeks I believe...can't remember and I wore out quicker than when I wasn't pregnant. I just made sure to rest often and I was fine.

bcfrost816 replied to mommyof3kiddos's response:
Yes, painting is fine while you are pregnant, just make sure you have good ventilation. I painted my DD #1 nursery when I was about 15 weeks along, and I just finished painting her new toddler room this past weekend.

I am about 100% sure the consensus among most doctors now is that painting is fine as long as it is well ventilated and is not an oil-based paint. Have fun!

Rfirstlilone26 replied to bcfrost816's response:
Hello
Thanks much for the feed back..i'm going to get ready to get my painting arms ready. First i need to find the right color..
Ashley

HoneyBbabyT responded:
We went with an eco-friendly paint from Sherwin Williams (the Harmony line) that has zero VOCs. You can get it in almost any color/shade except really dark ones. Today we painted an accent wall in the nursery this beautiful bold raspberry color called "Dragonfruit". I love it! And you can barely smell the paint. Have fun and good luck finding the paint you want! :)

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am the proud mommy of an amazing little girl and currently expecting a little sister for her on October 25! They will be about 20 1/2 months apart, ...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful