Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
One Month
amydps posted:
I am currently 24 weeks and 2 days. I went to my monthly appointment yesterday and the scale said I gained 10 pounds in 1 month. How does a person do that?? I have never gained 10 pounds in 1 month before. Has this happened to anyone else?

KSHoh responded:
Have you put on much weight up to this point? If you have not put on much or any at all I would probably not worry @ it. Did you Dr say anything to you? If not Dr. probably is not worried @ it. But if you already have gained a lot already you may want to start watching what your eating. But once again if you Dr. didnt say anything to you @ it then I would not worry.

tamliz08 responded:
Yup. I just had my 24 week appointment on Tuesday and I had gained 8 pounds for the month.

amydps replied to KSHoh's response:
Before my 10 pound weight gain I gained 11 pounds. My doctor didn't say anything. I have started to swell in the last month/month and a half so wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Pamela11703 responded:
with my first pregnancy i went two months in a row where i gained like 8 pounds or so! I couldnt even help it! I wasnt eating anything crazy.... I felt like i had no control! my doctor told me to watch salts.. ie. pizza, chinese food, etc.. I realized later that I had been eating those types of foods a lot and also he said lay off sugar like apple juice and fruits... (well keep them to a minimum) So with my second pregnancy and this one I followed those guidelines and I am def in much better control of my weight...

Im not sure if you are eating that type of stuff, but if you are.. try to steer clear! they are evil lol

Tiphawee replied to Pamela11703's response:
i went to my OB appointment yesterday and i finally gained 1 pound!! (i was over weight to begin with) and in my first trimester i couldnt eat anything so i lost 25 pounds.. then soon gained it back so i was back at my normal weight.. (guessing the 25 pounds i gained back was baby) and finally after over 6 motnhs of being the same weight i gained a whole 1 POUND WOOT lol

Taylove11 responded:
Hi there,

At my 22 week appointment, I had gained 7 pounds in one month. My doctor just said to really watch what I eat and to not have back to back months like that. I have gained 12 pounds total this pregnancy and I'm almost 28 weeks now. My OB explained that some women just leapfrog their way through out pregnancy. She highly recommended snacking on veggies and eating more salad as meals.

If your doc didn't say anything about it, I wouldn't be too concerned. If you gain a pound per week for the rest of your pregnancy (which is the average), you'll be at 37 pounds. That's only two over the recommendation of 25-35 pounds total.

I assume that you'll have your glucose screening at your next appointment? Maybe that will provide an answer for you. Keep an out for swelling and rapid weight gain though, if it keeps up you may want to ask your doc about pre-eclampsia.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/preeclampsia-eclampsia

I HTH and best wishes!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. My name is Ashley. I am 20 years old, and have been married to my husband Paul for a little over 3 years now. We are excpecting our first child...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.