Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
20 Week Ultrasound - Wrong dertemination..
An_216963 posted:
Hi all,

In my 20 wk U/S they told I'm having Girl and they showed me 3 lines , Now I'm 28 week and in the recent Ultrasound they told I'm having Boy. . does this happen to any of you before..Is this possible in 20 Wk ultrasound.. {:0(}

SunConure responded:
OMG!! This has not happened to me or anyone I know yet, but that sucks! They told me at my 20wk u/s I was having a girl, they better be right or I'm going to be pissed, her room is pink and green!!! We are having a 4d u/s done on the 26th so I am going to have them double check! Did you ask them how they could have been wrong, maybe they didn't have a good enough pic at 20wks? My u/s tech was 100% sure mines a girl, I hope she is right...
Terra(24)Jeff(24)Our first, Rylee Lynn is due 09/13 :)

Shauntrell responded:
I have heard of this before but I would be very upset. My little girl would not open up her legs but at her 25 week appointment she finally did. It better be right or I am going to raise hell. I am so sorry have you been buying things for a little girl. I would be so made at them. I mean really how can you get that wrong at 20 weeks.
Jaque (31) Drew (28) 1st baby EDD 9/20 It's a GIRL! Go Pink Team

mtlmayhem responded:
this happened to my friend's sister- she was first told she was having a girl and a boy, then two girls then lo and beholf, HE was the first one delivered!

at my 20 week, LO wasnt too cooperative either and we were told 60% sure it was a boy- we shall see!
Andrea (32) DH (33) DS1 22 months old, my strong willed little Leo! DS2 due 09/21!!! There will be NOISE in my house of Boys!!!

eden51671 responded:
Thats a tough one! I was just talking to a patient about this the other day. They didnt want to know what they were having and I said I didnt blame them. It is beyond me why people are so willing to to put out so much money and time just based on what I say. And I say that because rarely does someone ask me about my credentials or how long I have been doing this or anythign about me. They just want to know how sure am I. My response will always be 50%. Its strictly our opinion on what we think it is. We are human, we make mistakes. On flip side of that, it shouldnt be taken lightly, it should never just be a guess. I havent been wrong yet in 15 years...10 in the same practice. BUT my time is coming.

So I guess what Im getting at is, while I understand it is soooo emotional when you have become attached to a different person and now who do you believe? I would go with the later sonogram. boys can look like girls at 20 weeks. But as far as "how can this happen"? its human error.

was it the same sonographer that did you earlier one? See if they will agree to look again at 30 weeks?

Isylya responded:
At 18 weeks our Doctor said she was 90% sure that it was a girl. At our 20 week it was most definitely a boy, NO mistaking that!

I couldn't imagine going 8 weeks though thinking it was a girl! Holy cow!

Sorry that happened to you!

waitingmomy responded:
OMG! sounds bad! But you know what @ my 20 wk u/s they told me its a girl 100% but she did tell me that I need to repeat this scan in two weeks since she was not able to gert to see some of it. I do hope to find out that its still a boy!
:) Me-20,DH-20 EDD 10/17/10 Gender unknown U/S 6/11!!!! :)

sarah0323 responded:
When I had my DD 11 years ago I was told she was a boy at our 20 wk U/S. I didn't have another U/S. I kept feeling that I was carrying a little girl though. I couldn't come up with a boys for the life of me. She surprised everyone when she came out a little girl. From then on we haven't found out we decided that it is more fun to let it be a surprise.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

JessHeath replied to sarah0323's response:
I think the girl prediction is riskier than a boy prediction, because if you see a penis.......well, its not like it could be something else right? But for girls its just 3 lines so really could be something else. I was so nervous about 1 week before delivering my beautiful daughter because I looked in her closet and all I saw was pink! Just remember, does it really matter? I just didn't cut any tags off till she was born, it was all exchangeable! And you will love what you get! Having said that, I can't wait to find out in 2 weeks!

ReneeErin replied to JessHeath's response:
Wow, that would be frustrating!!!!!!! I thought it was difficult not knowing- since we've tried to find out 4 times and failed.... Now I guess I'm kind-of glad we don't know!
Erin (27) DH (29) First baby due 9/12/10!!! Finally! =) (We STILL don't know what it is!!!)

belle9164 responded:
That sucks, but they can never be 100% sure. I would take whatever they say with a grain of salt. People can be wrong and it isn't exact science. I do not know of this happening to any of my friends, but I have heard of it happening. I was told boy and we got a very clear shot but if he turns into a she, oh well. I am just happy to have a healthy child. I was thinking about paying of another u/s just to have the gender confirmed but I really don't think we will get a better shot If they said girl then I would get another because they tend to be trickier.
Alicia (24) DH (25) EDD 11-11-10 it's a BOY! Mommy to 3 dogs and a cat

leebee49504 responded:
that certainly is an unexpected surprise that what you thought was a baby girl is really a baby boy. But the main reason we all go to these 20 wk ultrasounds with such anticpation is to make sure our babies our nice and healthy!! Instead of focusing on the fact that you may not be having what you originally thought, try to remember that whatever it comes out to be, it is healthy!!

An_240302 responded:
Hi

Do u have the pics by any chance... Please post them if u have any

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 26 y/o and married to a wonderful wonderful man. We have one son (age 4) and one daughter (age 2) and are expecting a third in September. We are ...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.