Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
low iron=fatigue?
agbdiva posted:
I thought the 2nd tri was supposed to be the one where you feel the best? I have been feeling more tired now than in my 1st tri. I am thinking I should have my dr test me for low iron? Or maybe it's just the way I should be feeling?

MRSKuhns responded:
I was wondering the same thing myself...i feel tired all the time! Let me know what you find out, I thought it might be an iron deficiency as well.
Me (22), DH (25), Blue Team Jan.19,2011

MNMommy3 responded:
It very well could be low iron. For some reason, my doc tested my hemoglobin (I think that's the one) at my last appointment and it came back low. I definitely had been feeling very fatigued A LOT, and had a few headaches a week as well. I did a little research and sure enough fatigue is a sign of low iron. I have adjusted my vitamins and have felt a little better, but not 100%. I think I'm going to have him check my blood again at my monthly appointment tomorrow. Def talk to your doc.
~ Kelly (31), DB (30), DS (12), DS (5), little GIRL due 01/09/11.

agbdiva replied to MNMommy3's response:
The dr.'s office faxed in my orders today for a CBC. My iron was 11.2 and the low normal is 11. They won't find out until tomorrow about my hemoglobin. They said I could take a low dose of iron(I found one that's 28 mg and supposed to be gentle). I'm going to try it and see.

I am also going to be more conscience of what iron rich foods I eat/drink. I need more beans and red meat.

I had 2 friends give me some good advice too. I am going to cut back on my decaf tea. Tea inhibits iron absorption. I was also told that taking iron with dairy products is a bad combination. Every morning lately I had been taking my prenatal with a cup of milk.

MsMollyMac responded:
Low iron is common in pregnancy. Some good sources of iron are green leafy veggies, organ meats, and there are also iron-fortified cereals you can buy. The milk does inhibit absorption, so its best not to drink it within an hour of taking the iron pill or prenatal vitamin. To increase absorption its best to take it with citrus juices, such as orange juice.
Me: 26, DH: 30, DD: 3, new little one due 1-3-11

breezy_83255 responded:
Things like dried apricots and cream of wheat are also loaded with iron. I'm positive that my daily cream of wheat kept me off of iron supplements with DD2.

agbdiva replied to MsMollyMac's response:
That is helpful information! Thanks!

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to agbdiva's response:
This WebMD Iron-Rich Foods article also has a great list of different foods containing different levels of iron. I hope you start feeling more energized soon!
Best Wishes! Amelia

Spotlight: Member Stories

Married the man of my dreams on 6/3/2006, and are expecting our first baby on 10/30/2010.

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.