Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Colostrum production during pregnancy
bliane1 posted:
Good afternoon all, and congrats to all soon-to-be Moms! I am 24 weeks pregnant right now and have been producing colostrum for the past month or so. But just recently my colostrum production has gone through the roof. My breasts get so full that they need to be expelled 3-6 times a day and I produce anywhere between 3-6 ounces of colostrum per day. I have also given myself the nickname, "Squirt Gun". I'm guessing you can all guess why.

My questions are, is it normal to produce soo much colostrum while I am only in my second trimester? And is there a correlation between high colostrum production and milk production? Anyone know or have any personal experience in the area? Would really love the help

osamuel08 responded:
Okay so I have a couple of questions before I respond...
is this your first child? have you ever nursed before and if so how long ago?

So I am a mom to two boys, ages 4 and 2, and nursed both for a year. Before the first I had a little leakage near the end of my pregnancy but not enough to even register. When expecting #2 it started earlier, maybe around 24 weeks or so but not huge amounts. This time I am one leaky gal from very early on, first tri, and I can tell my girls are bigger and fuller than they have ever been at this point. I brought it up with the OB and she basically said, they know what to do and are ready to go. I also feel like since it hasn't been that long since #2 stopped nursing (year and half ago) they really are in "go" mode.

Also, be warned, if you haven't been already, if you keep expressing those puppies they will keep making more and more. It works well when you have a nursing infant but not so great when you don't so I would do my best to leave them alone. And standing face front in a hot shower stimulates as well. On the bright side you should have one very well nourished child!

HTH,
Jen (34) DH (34) DS (4) DS (2) EDD 4/7/11

kristinrayerootes responded:
Without looking anything up, I don't think it is normal. Obviously everybody is different and I have had some since almost the begining, but no increase lately. However, it is my understanding that you should NOT be expelling it. This can cause you to go into labor and it way too early for that to happen for you. I would call your doctor tomorrow and set up an appointment to discuss it. Maybe they will have a different view, but everything I have ever read says not to "prepare" for breastfeeding because it can cause you to go into labor.

ShanunC responded:
I dont have enough to really produce anything.. but if I do the get the milk going techniques.. I can express some..
like ppsters said.. it is normal to have this happen.. especially if this is not your first child..
however like ppster said.. its not best to express it.. it can stimulate labor.. which its a little early yet...
wear some nursing pads to soak it up for yah..
however to my knowledge.. could be totally wrong... but just from experience.. the amount of milk your going to get is really up to you.. if I found I was drinking TONS of fluids i could seriously pump 10 ozs every 3 hours alllllll day.. but if I slacked on water intake and fluid intake it was less and less.. thats actually how I worked on stopping pumped.. I pumped instead of nursed.. so I just cut back my fluid intake so I slowly stopped producing so much..

anyways.. def talk to your doc.. they can lead you in the best direction.. however it is nice to know the gals are ready to work..

heatherenee responded:
My question is, (even tho everyone is different), when does the average person who's pregnant for the first time start producing colostrum...I always thought this happened either right before lo comes or even 2-5 days after?
Heather(25),Jon(23), Baby boy due Feb.1, 2011.

StarryGrrl replied to heatherenee's response:
WIth my first pregnancy I started leaking colostrum around 24 weeks and when I mentioned it to my Dr., she said that it was completely normal.
Me and DH (31) DS 2 yrs. old. Baby girl on the way EDD 2/19/11

gigglygirl replied to heatherenee's response:
I didn't produce any until after my son was born. He seemed content from the start though. Good luck!

ShanunC replied to gigglygirl's response:
I started producing with my first around 30 weeks.. it wasnt a lot but I would notice certain times of the day my bra was wet.. then i would notice especially after a shower the colostrum starting to leak.... like you said everyone is different

ariel_wright responded:
I am on my fourth pregnancy. With this baby I am not leaking as much as early but I think that it has something to do with me having my nipples pierced after weaning my last child.

However, with my first child I was watching TV with my husband at 19 weeks. I fell asleep on the couch on his shoulder and woke up freezing to the sensation of my front being wet. I had leaked so much colostrum that I had completely soaked the front of my t-shirt in a very short time and when I got up to go change it was steadily leaking out of my breasts.

I asked my doctor about it and he said that while this does not happen for most women it can happen and its not a bad thing. He also felt that the fact that I had been producing since I was 16 without ever being pregnant may have been a factor in it. I had tests done when this was happening and they told me that it was just easier for me to produce and my body was very good for carrying and nursing babies. I have never completely stopped producing since the age of 16 and will be 24 on the second.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi I'm Erica. I am happily married to my highschool sweetheart Gary, we have been together for 14 years married for 7. We have a beautiful daughte...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.