Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Hemorrhoids are the DEVIL....
ebonyeye posted:
Okay so as some of you may know I have IBS. I have a hard time (like some of you) producing bowel movements. When I had my first daughter almost 12 YEARS AGO I was introduced to hemorrhoids. I was young, and didn't really understand them or what to do about them, so of course 11 years later what started off 1st Degree was now 4th Degree hemorrohoids. So I finally took the step to have a hemorrhoidectomy just in April to remove the "pain in the ass" pun intended lol. there-after, I had been really taking precautions as to not strain or push when I had BM's but now being preggers and even MORE constipated then ever before..needless-to-say... they're baaaaaaack. Had I known I was going to get preggers and get them AGAIN I would have waited and done the surgery later.

None-the-less, now that I am older and wiser I'd like to "nip this in the bud" ASAP. Any thing you ladies do at home at the first site of these darn things? I've tried soaking, wipes, etc. Do the creams really work? I have not tried those....
Tee(31)~DD(11)~EDD for DD2(2/26/11)
FirstPrevious12NextLast

camnfaithsmom responded:
I swear by Tucks pads!! An ex of mine introduced me to them and they are magical. I'm not sure if you have tried those or not. Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon!
Me-27, SO-28, Cameron-10, Faith-3, Serenity-1, Lil one due 4/10/11

ebonyeye replied to camnfaithsmom's response:
Do the Tucks pads work with the swelling? I did try those in the past, I will get more.

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to ebonyeye's response:
Yes, they are the devil

I agree with camnfaithsmom on the Tucks! Also, try soaking in a warm bath, lying on your side, there are creams you can use, but consult your pharmacist or doctor about any warnings for pregnancy. Also, wearing cotton panties supposedly helps to keep irritation down. Here is the WebMD article on Hemorrhoids - Home Treatment to give you other ideas. I hate this for you. Hope you feel better soon!
Best Wishes! Amelia

ebonyeye replied to Amelia_WebMD_Staff's response:
I hate it too Amelia, thanks for the info. Im willing to try every and anything.

mamathoma responded:
Try a cold wet rag with witch hazel on it. Its the only thing that helps me. Just wondering.. was the surgery very painful? I'm kinda in the same boat with the 4 th degree pain in the ass and soo tired of it.
Me 28, Dh 29, DD-9, DS-6, DS-2 EDD 11/28 Another BOY!

ebonyeye replied to mamathoma's response:
I saw witch hazel in the article and was gonna try that too. Thanks!!

The surgery not painful at all its the BM's that are. I logged onto different sites and message boards beforehand and I almost decided not to have it due to peoples responses. And am so glad I went ahead with it. The pain I had last Thursday was way worse then the pain I experienced with the surgery.The first day I totally didn't feel a THING due to still being numb and on pain meds. I was totally off pain meds by the end of the second day and stuck with the Tylenol from there-on out. It wasn't until the 5th day when I finally had a BM that I was in pain. It did hurt, Im not gonna lie, but thats inevitable. I had internal and external hemorrhoids so it burned inside and out, but I had the pain pills, sitz bath and other things to help me.

osamuel08 responded:
Oh Tee, boy oh boy do I feel your pain. I have ulcerative colitis and have had three (one before pregnancy after a colonoscopy and two more each occurring late in the pregnancy) that have required surgery because I seriously was ready to collapse from the pain. They are WAAAYYYY worse then labor, imo so like you I do everything in my power to stop them the moment they start. After my last which literally was a two week recovery with some serious pain meds, I was prescribed Proctosol-HC 2.5% by my gastroentrologist. Ask, beg, and plead for it but no matter what get some and soon. I apply it the moment I feel anything coming and it works like a charm. I tried in vein all other remedies, creams, sitz baths, witch hazel, episom salt, you name it. Nothing would stop it from getting thrombosed and me having to call the surgeon. On an up side I now have his home number because he is so sympathetic to my problem (and his wife is my gastro, lol!)
Jen (34) DH (34) DS (5) DS (2) EDD 4/7/11

ebonyeye replied to osamuel08's response:
I will definitely ask, I have to write Proctosol-HC 2.5% down so I can remember the name. They shouldn't have a problem with giving it to me, so that I wont have to have surgery again. I'm on medication now for fissures, which I dont think is really helping. But will still try!

LOL that you have the home number, but I can totally understand why. These things will kill you! Thanks!

camnfaithsmom replied to ebonyeye's response:
The Tucks pads are soaked in Witch hazel. I certainly hope they help you or offer some relief at least.
Me-27, SO-28, Cameron-10, Faith-3, Serenity-1, Lil one due 4/10/11

osamuel08 replied to ebonyeye's response:
Fissures will just about kill you. The ER nurses that have assisted in the past are like "what the heck?? you're in here for what??" but then the doc comes in and he is like "oh no these things are really, really, painful" which makes me feel a little less like an a** (no pun intended) for having to go to the ER for it. I almost want to say "i'd really rather not be here either" but I develop the type that get the blood clot and they take forever to work themselves out. With two small children at home it is all I can do to move much less do anything for them. And of course the last two happened on a long weekend and so close to my due date that i honestly worry about the pain getting so intense it throws me into labor...and I COULD NOT imagine labor with one of those things. Also you should know (my gastro told me this after the first), that once you get one 4th degree the likelihood of getting more is high.

Keep up with the meds, they will likely keep the internal swelling down but like I said that cream was sent from heaven.

I really, really, hope you can manage the rest of the way in the clear. I don't wish these on anyone!!

ebonyeye replied to camnfaithsmom's response:
Thanks, thats good to know because I swear I was just going to go to the store and just get EVERYTHING, cause Im sure this is just the beginning.

You are absolutely right, the fissures are just as painful. And dont you hate people/nurses like that? Whats with the 3rd degree from the nurses? You're in pain and thats all that matters. Geez.. Im glad you are sharing your info with me because I swear my gastro is not a good doctor. She always rushes in and out of my appts and has never sat down with me. Im usually asking her questions while walking out of the door.. so on my last appt I switched doctors. I dont have to go in anymore for post ops appts but I will make one and ask for that Rx if these other things dont help me right away. I did know the risk of getting them again, I just hoped it wouldn't happen =(

osamuel08 replied to ebonyeye's response:
Tee, I am happy to chat anytime simply because I had so much trouble getting any information at all last time this happened and I was in such pain. And I agree, find yourself a good gastro, it will save you a lot of hassle. Also I don't know about you but my gastro is very cautious about the first couple of months after birth triggering a flare and actually pre-prescribes steroids in the event anything acts up. She wants me to proactively medicate if I feel bad. She said it has to do with lack of rest, stress of having a newborn, and hormones. Not sure if it is the same with IBS but something worth considering.
Also if you do decide to flat out switch gastro's I've found it is 10x easier to have a doc capable of doing both colonoscopy's and 4th degree surgeries in their office. It saves you the humiliation of having to go to the ER and dealing with medical staff that haven't any idea of what you are going through.
In terms of recurrence, I've found that the extra weight I carry when full term is too much for me to bear. On the upside it gives me amazing incentive to never gain this much weight when not pregnant!

Hi Jen,

When I switched doctors it was only for my last appointment in which was the 2nd time I had to go in due to fissures. So even after my post ops for a few months I still had to go back, I switched to another doctor in the same practice and he was MUCH better than she was, I was actually recommended by my original doctors NURSE, go figure. I guess she knew she wasnt the best with the patients, but she did a good job on my surgery. So he is aware and is alos capable of the surgery and colonscopy, I had to have the colonoscopy done the day before the surgery.
Anywho I will keep all of what you shared in mind. Im sure Im gonna need it.

Helpful Tips

Profile pic
Are you ladies having any trouble adjusting the picture for your profile? I haven't had any luck with adjusting my pic to show all of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.