Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Braxton Hicks Maybe?
Jackie86401 posted:
So yesterday and today I have been getting what feels like might be Braxton Hicks Contraction. I didn't get these with my first pregnancy so I'm not completely positive. But my stomach on my sides keeps tightening a lot the last 2 days on and off. Not a lot of pain just uncomfortable ya know. I am only 22 weeks along I will be 23 weeks on Saturday so I and kinda worried cause I didn't know that it could start this early. Anyone have this experience?
Jackie(me) 24, Teddy(DH) 22, Xavior(Nephew) 3, Miley(daughter) 2, Lil one due 4/23/11

camnfaithsmom responded:
Jackie you are not alone. I have been having BH contractions ever since I was 17 weeks along. My doctor gave me medication in the form of a pill that way I can take it at home if they start and don't stop. I forgot what it's called. My doctor told me its fairly normal as long as you aren't having more than 5 in an hour and they aren't getting stronger and closer together with each one. Try drinking plenty of water to stay hydrated. Becoming dehydrated will cause BHC as well. Good luck and best wishes. Keep us posted.
Me-27, SO-28, Cameron-10, Faith-3, Serenity-1, Lil one due 4/10/11, officially the PINK team!!

Jackie86401 replied to camnfaithsmom's response:
Thanks so much Cam its nice to know that Im not the only one having these issues!
Jackie(me) 24, Teddy(DH) 22, Xavior(Nephew) 3, Miley(daughter) 2, Lil one due 4/23/11

dawnmommyof2tx responded:
Hi Jackie,

I didn't have BH with my first either, and have had BH with this one since I was 18 weeks. I am 25 weeks now. I was getting them so often that my dr put me on weekly shots of Progesterone right away. They help unless I am really stressed out. Good luck to you!
First born 04/09/07, EDD 04/09/11-GO BLUE TEAM!

Jhawkchick responded:
I actually have a couple questions about BH. Where do you feel the contractions? And how long do they typically last? I guess I've always assumed contractions would be felt in the lower abdomen, but the past few days I've had a "tightening" feeling in the higher parts of my belly...like closer to the belly button. It doesn't last very long...maybe 2-5 seconds each time. I was thinking it was just my insides reacting to getting elbowed and stepped on :) but now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts??? Thanks!
Me (30), DH (30), Fur Baby: Nugget(Shih-tzu/poodle, 1), EDD 3/30/2011--Pink Team!

Jackie86401 replied to Jhawkchick's response:
That sounds like contractions... in fact from what I know it si more common to feel them on the sides and the top of your stomach and thats what it is tightening that is uncomfortable and sometimes painful and depending on how long they last is whether they are real or BH. If they are BH they can last from a few seconds to a couple minutes. If they are real contractions they can last from a couple minutes or longer.

Jhawkchick replied to Jackie86401's response:
Thanks! They definitely weren't getting stronger so I feel good about that. This is all new to me, but exciting nonetheless!
Me (30), DH (30), Fur Baby: Nugget(Shih-tzu/poodle, 1), EDD 3/30/2011--Pink Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Vernice, I'm 26 almost 27 years old me and my DH have been together for almost 12 years now. We have 6 children (3 boys, 3 girls) and w...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful