Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
New Guidelines for Children's Car Seats
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) came out with some new car seat recommendations today that may have parents spinning. The New Guidelines suggest "parents keep infants and toddlers in rear-facing car safety seats until age 2 or when they physically outgrow the limits for the seat."

Dr. Roy Benaroch, our Health Expert pediatrician blogger, helps you sort Through the Changes with this list below.

The five recommendations:

1. Children should ride in a rear-facing child safety seat at least until age two, or until they're too big for the maximum size of their seat.

2. All children two years or older (or younger than two if they've outgrown their backwards-facing seat) should use a forward-facing seat with a harness for as long as possible. This would typically be around age four.

3. Children should then use a belt-positioning booster seat until they've outgrown it, typically between age 8-12 and around 4′9″.

4. When children are big enough to use a seat belt alone, they should always use a lap-and-shoulder belt.

5. All children less than 13 years should always be seated in the rear seat of the vehicle.

If this is your first pregnancy, does it change your mind about what car seat to buy? If you have older children, are you going to be changing their postions/seats to match the new recommendations?
Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside.  ~Rita Rudner

Alleeson responded:
I think this is great!

My DD is still RFing at age 2.5. I purposely bought a car seat with a high RF weight limit because I wanted to keep her RFing for as long as possible.

She's a little peanut and hasn't even hit 30lbs yet! I get a lot of comments when people see her seat about how uncomfortable she must be and she looks squished, but I just say it's what my pediatrician and my family is comfortable with at this time. She doesn't mind and doesn't know any better. It's really a personal choice. I don't look down on anyone who decides differently - it really is a personal choice and no one is right or wrong.

This next LO of ours will definitely follow in her sister's footsteps and remain RFing for as long as possible.

Kudos to the AAP!
Me (31) DH (37) DD (2) Due June 27th

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to Alleeson's response:
Kudos to you for doing what you think is best, while others make their comments/opinions. No mother thinks the same, so it is good to go with what you feel is best! Thanks for sharing and congrats on your newest addition, who is coming along soon!!! Yay!
Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside. ~Rita Rudner

cl1234 responded:
Why was my reply deleted?

rosecam responded:
The recommendations are interesting. I will try to keep my child rear-facing until 2. The 4'9" and 13 years of age recommendations seem a bit extreme to me though. Many adults are smaller than that.

I feel like these new recommendations really point to the importance of having adjustable shoulder strap heights in cars, rather than the importance of using booster seats...

Amelia_WebMD_Staff replied to cl1234's response:
Hi cl1234,

I'm so sorry to hear that your reply was not posted! I would assume that it was a technical difficulty as long as no terms and conditions were violated. I apologize for this concern and do hope that you post again!!!
Life is tough enough without having someone kick you from the inside. ~Rita Rudner

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey I'm Jackie and me and my DF are having our first Sept 5th :) Jordan Adalyn will also be the first grandbaby on both sides of the family so she...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.