Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
A little extra fluid in baby's kidneys?
ChristyAD posted:
I had an ultrasound today (i will be 20 weeks tomorrow) . Well the ultrasound tech said that he had a little extra fluid in his kidneys....what does this mean...I am scheduled for a level 2 ultrasound in two weeks to check up on his kidneys. She said his amniotic fluid looked good...and that she wouldn't worry too much . But, now im freaked out...im really concerned. Has this happened to anyone else? I need some comforting words because I am just beside myself right now. Thanks!

AJ__Sparrow responded:
This has never happened to me, but here's a link I found about it:

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/stages/fetal-development/fluid-in-babys-kidney/

Hope that it's nothing and that you are able to relax a bit! Babies give us such worries, don't they? :)
Me, DH, DD (7), DS (3), and Number 3 (EDD Aug. 9. A girl!)

mmmstar8806 responded:
hi...lurking from the 3rd tri boards...

it's a condition called hydronephrosis, it's fairly common in boys. My first DS was diagnosed with it at 20 weeks, and I had ultrasounds done every 4 weeks to monitor the fluid levels in his kidneys. This time around, this DS didn't have any kidney problems until I had my 30 week U/S (family history-so they were being cautious.) I don't know how much your LO's kidneys are dilated, but my DS's is fairly minor. When he was born they did an U/S on him, and something called a VCUG. (they use a catheter to fill the bladder, to see where the fluid buildup happens-the kidney itself or the ureturs [tubes that lead down to the bladder>) He sees a urologist every 6 months or so to check the levels. As long as your LO doesn't have major dilation, it'll run its course by the time they are 3 or 4. DS is on an antibiotic to prevent any possible kidney/bladder infections. Did they refer you to a urologist? Did they happen to say what the measurements were on his kidneys?? (probably not)

It's something that is a tad worrisome. Even if it turns out to be a minor case of hydronephrosis, it's something you have to deal with when they're young. You might be lucky and it will disappear after a few weeks of them being born (it is a possibility) If it turns out to be major, they would end up doing surgery to fix whatever is the main issue. I pray that isn't your case! If they didn't refer you to a urologist this time around, I hope they do at your next one...if not, make sure to ask! Hope that helped, look it up more if you'd like!
Me(23) DF(22) DS(1) EDD 7/4/11-BLUE team again! =D

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello! I'm Meggie (31) and my wonderful DH is Jeremy (31). We have 1 DD, Rylie Katelyn (19 months) who is the love of our lives. We are now expect...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.