Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
used car seat
vanessagw23 posted:
My coworker gave me a very gently used infant car seat, and one of my other friends mentioned to me that you aren't suppossed to use a car seat that is used. Do you agree?

sweets1988 responded:
you can but because they can be outdated very quickly. but if you can take it to your local fire department and they can check to see if its up to code. i would agree to use it as long as a professional said it was alright.

aly192527 responded:
The only thing I've heard is that you aren't supposed to use a car seat if it's been in an accident. You can also check online to make sure it wasn't recalled for some reason. The federal government has a list of recalled baby items. We're on a budget and if someone offered us a used car seat, I'd accept unless it was recalled or really, really old.

earleyml1012 responded:
You can use it if it's less than 5 years old and has never been in an accident. Since you know her, you can ask all of these questions and make sure you get a users manual. They seem easy to put in but they aren't. We thought we had ours in right until we took it to a place that inspected them for free, they fixed it for us.

I have NOTHING against buying used but to me there are a few things that I find are too important for both safety and health to get used. Those are carseats, cribs, and anything feeding related that goes into the mouth. That's just my opinion. If she gives you all the info on the carseat and you feel comfortable with it, then go for it.

loyal1982 responded:
There should be an expiration date on the bottom of it somewhere. Check it out.

loyal1982 replied to loyal1982's response:
If it is still good maybe you could use it as a secondary carseat for the grandparents car or someone like that.

critty123 responded:
If it is from a trusted friend or relative and not expired or of course never been in an accident there shouldn't be a problem. As long as that person took proper care of it, like did not saturate the harness straps. Many people don't know that you shouldn't do this and wash them incorrectly.

vanessagw23 responded:
Thanks everyone! I'll look into it to make sure that it isn't expired, which it shouldn't be it's only 2 years old, and check it for recalls.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Dawn. I am 24 years old, and my husband and I are expecting our first child in June 2010. I am excited and nervous all at the same time! ho...More

Helpful Tips

Profile pic
Are you ladies having any trouble adjusting the picture for your profile? I haven't had any luck with adjusting my pic to show all of my ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 16 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.