Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Suggested meal plan for GD (Gestational Diabetes)?
cruise_control1 posted:
Hi,
I have GD now with my second child, I had it with my first child as well. The difference this time around is that I am always hungry. I have been abiding by the food choices on my "can eat selections" but even before its time for me to check my blood sugar, I am starving and waiting for my snack which still leaves me with hunger. With my 1st child it was a girl, but this one is a boy, I dont know if that makes a difference since boys usually eat more than girl (lol). I have been searching online for some meal plan suggestions but havent had any luck. So I want to know if any of my webmd buddies who may have GD can you let me know what your daily meal plans consist of. I am allowed 3200 calories per day if that helps. I usually eat breakfast at 8a and before 9a can roll around good, I am still hungry. Please help me.

snh571 responded:
I have GD as well, you were given alot more calories than I was I'm only allowed 1900. All I can sugest is that you increase your protine consumption and stay away from the cold breakfast cereal. I must say that I did eat more when I was pregnant with my DS than I an this time.

candy352 replied to snh571's response:
I agree with PP. Try adding more protein to your meals. It's usally a lot more feeling. Make sure you have a good combo of protein, fats, and carbs. That helps too and it doesn't cause your blood sugar to spike. I am a Type II diabetic and it seems like I am always hungry too! I wasn't put on a calorie limit (Thank God). Counting the carbs is enough work for me, LOL.

alaskamamma responded:
I was just told I had GD. I still have 45 mins to go before I test and I am hungray. I was not but on a calories limet Just told to watch my carbs and surgers. I was told how many carbs to eat each meal. I am still trying to get this right.

candy352 replied to alaskamamma's response:
I'm like you. I have to watch my carbs and sugars. I have to test at least 4 times per day. It is so hard watching my carbs. That's my favorite food group!!! I have a weakness for cornbread. But I'm trying.

cruise_control1 replied to candy352's response:
Thanks ladies for your replies...Yeah pasta is one of my weaknesses as well as some sweets, so I have been able to move to wheat pasta...but I cheat sometimes with the sweets to satisfy my sweet tooth. I'll keep trying.

alaskamamma replied to candy352's response:
I am glad I am not alone with this. Am praying for you all to have happy heathey babies. I love things like rice and pasta. Trying to say no to them has been hard.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Cruise_control,

I'm covering for Byroney today and thought I'd leave you a few resources that may help with Gestational Diabetes and your diet:

Counting Carbs & Gestational Diabetes
Diabetes: Using a Food Guide
The Basics of a Healthy Diabetes Diet

I hope that helps a bit. You might also try seeking some suggestions on our Diabetes or Diet Community . They both have very supportive members.

Hope that helps!!

~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am 24 years old..I am pregnant with my 1st child, I am due Nov 9, 2011 and I will be having a beautiful baby boy. I have a BA Degree in Business Adm...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.