Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
how safe is flying?
Lamif2 posted:
I'm almost 16 wks and i'm not sure how safe it is to fly when pregnant. I did talked to my OB/GYN and got an Ok, but i wanted to hear from other people who might have experience flying while pregnant. I'm not high risk pregnancy or anything i'm just worried if something goes wrong. Thank you for your comments.

earleyml1012 responded:
I flew at 20 weeks with my first pregnancy and had no problems. Just stay hydrated and get up to walk around a few times depending on how long the flight is. I was in the middle seat, so I'd also recommend getting the isle so you don't have to bug someone to get up for the bathroom or to walk. I do know that most airlines will not let you fly in your 3rd trimester, so I'd make the trip before then. You should be fine to fly!

lenono97 responded:
I flew when I was about 28 weeks. I didn't have any problems. I think I may have been subjected to more security. I had to go through the scanner on the way out and another random test on the way back. I guess they wanted to make sure I as really pregnant!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Lamif,

Welcome to the 2nd Trimester community and thanks for asking about pregnancy travels .

According to WebMD, "When you're pregnant, the safest time to travel is during your second trimester (18 to 24 weeks), when your risks for miscarriage and preterm labor are lowest. During your third trimester, it's best to stay within 300 miles of home, in case of sudden changes that need medical attention."

You might check out that article for some tips on airline and other types of traveling while pregnant.

Hope that helps and happy vacationing. :)

~Andie

klynshoe responded:
I was also wondering about those body scanner machines. The signs say they are safe for pregnant women but I'm not sure I trust TSA. I'm wondering if there are any risks at all associated with going through these.

kell0613 replied to klynshoe's response:
Lurking from 3rd
I flew at 22 weeks from Indy to San Francisco. Be sure to get up and stretch your legs at least once every 1.5 hours. If you're like me, you had to pee that often anyway! :)
The body scanners are kind of a grey area at the moment, from what I've read. The regular metal detectors are perfectly fine, but the scanners haven't been thoroughly tested, and most of the recommendations I have read said to opt out. They cannot force you to go through the scanners. If you opt out, they have to give you the pat down aka legalized groping isntead.
Lucky for me, the airports I went through didn't ask me to go through, but I would have refused if they had. Instead, a couple of the TSA agents asked me when I was due!

The only thing different about flying when pregnant was how much kicking and moving Little Miss did during the flight!

One last tip - DON'T wear a Maxi Dress! I have heard from a lot of people that the more flowing fabric your outfit has, the higher your chances of additional screening, especially with a bump.
Me(26), DH(32), Baby 1 EDD 9/12/11 - Team Pink!

Lamif2 replied to kell0613's response:
hi
Thank you so much for your comments. So it's okay to refuse the scanners? Will i get in trouble for opting out the scanners? thanks again.

jdblack78 responded:
I flew at 34 weeks with my son and did absolutely fine! Just walk up and down the isle a few times to get the blood circulating after sitting for 2 hours or longer. The scanners won't harm the baby at all. So going through airport security isn't really that big of a deal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My first daughter, Jade Evelyn, was born 08/12/08. I met my DH when I was 7 months pregnant, and he stuck around through all of it. Last year in May 2...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.