Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Citracal
An_217236 posted:
I have been taking Citracal calcium/vitamin D supplement with my prenatal vitamin about 6 months before I got pregnant since my vitamin D levels were too low. I am 14 wks pregnant & just googled about citracal out of curiosity & according to one of the posts it has lead in it. I am very much concerned now. Although I did let my OB/GYN know during my first visit, she didnt seem to be concerned. What do I do now? Has anyone taken citracal?

Thank You!

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

Welcome to the 2nd Trimester Community and thank you for bringing up the concern over lead in calcium supplements . I'm filling in for your regular Moderator, Byroney, today and just wanted to offer some resources.

Citracal is made from limestone, so it does contain small amounts of lead. You can find calcium supplements that say they are "lead free" by checking the labels closely. It may be that your doctor feels the small amount of lead you've been taking is not enough to cause any concern.

This Calcium Food Calculator will help you determine how much calcium your body needs and where to find good food sources to beef up your intake naturally.

I hope that helps. Maybe some of the other mom's have also had some experience with Citracal that can share with you , too.

Congrats & good luck!

~Andie

Spotlight: Member Stories

Erica-24, DH-28. Married 11/1/09, conceived 1/1/10, BFP 1/18/10, BIG U/S - 5/3/10, EDD 9/24/10 - the first of many :)

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.