Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
SHARP PAIN UNDER LEFT RIB
charissahill posted:
i have been experiencing pain under my left rib now for a month or so. i usually get it when i have been sitting for long period of time. the pain is sharp and dull. it feels like the baby has his feet in my rib lol. i am 21 weeks. anyone have similar pain or have any advice?
ME (20) DH (26). Expecting our DS 11/26/11. Its a Boy! (-;

Byroney_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hey there, Charissa!

Sorry to hear about your rib pain. I'd suggest that you bring it up to your doctor the next time you see him or her. Like you've noticed, it may be from sitting in one position for a long time. Pregnancy does put a lot of demands on your body.

However, if it gets worse or more frequently, please talk to your doctor right away about it.

Hopefully one of our other Mommies can share what they did for their rib pain and what it turned out to be.

Byroney
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once. -Jennifer Unlimited-

KonaMommy responded:
I had this during my last pregnancy around the same time that you described. Unfortunately, I think it lasted through most of my 2nd trimester (maybe longer, but I got used to it). I worried that it might be my appendix or something, because the pain was fairly severe. However, my doctor reassured me that it is because your rib cage spreads and opens up during pregnancy (imagine your ribs expanding and opening outward like a set of French doors). It is normal, but unfortunately uncomfortable. Make sure your bra is not too tight as this will compound the problem-- you can buy bra extenders at a fabric store... this helped a little. Also, I changed the chair I was sitting in at work to one that did not swivel and was a bit lower (so my feet rested on the ground); that helped with lower back pain (can't remember if it helped the rib pain). Oh, I remember that pain... hope my ribs are all stretched out already (I'm only at 17 weeks, so I still may have to deal with that). Good luck! Hope you feel better soon!

Isylya responded:
Oh lawdy, Charissa!

My son broke the cartilage in my rib cage, on the right side, during my pregnancy. It took 6 months after he was born to stop hurting!
It was miserable! But he was a STRONG kicker from 16 weeks on.. you could see him kicking through my tummy that early!
Hope your pain subsides and you feel better!

-Isy

Noodlesbaby11 responded:
I have been experiencing this exact same pain in the exact same spot for well over a month now and I am 26 weeks today. :( Blah... If you seem to find a relief from it somehow, please let me know. It really hurts.
Rayann(27),DH(28),DS(7),BFP on 2/20/11, due date 10/30/11, Team BLUE!!!!

charissahill responded:
Hey ladies thanks for your replies. (-; I still have the pain under my rib. it happens when im sitting down for long periods of time. i have a desk job so im always sitting. i have a dr's appt august 12th so i am going to ask my ob what he thinks.
ME (20) DH (26). Expecting our DS 11/26/11. Its a Boy! (-;

LilRhodyMomma responded:
I have a cramp type pain when I sleep on my left side (ya know the one your supposed to sleep on). It's right under my left breast and it's more annoying than hurtful. I wonder if it's my ribs that causing this? All I know is that if I sleep on my right side to long my right ear starts to hurt (not an ear ache, but hurts externally) and with the left side cramping issue, I'm left tossing & turning all night. Any suggestions?

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been TTC for 2 years. After the last 6 rounds of clomid I just couldnt handle it anymore. I wasnt even ovulating with the clomid...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.