Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
So Out of Breath
candy352 posted:
Lately, I have been feeling so out of breath. I don't know what's going on. I hear that asthma can get worse in pregnancy for those that have it, but I don't have asthma. Just walking from the parking lot to my desk this morning has me trying to catch my breath. In church yesterday, I could only stand for a couple of minutes before having to sit down to catch my breath. It took about 30 minutes before I could breathe normally again. Has this happened to anyone else?
Candy 26, DH 37, First pregnancy, EDD: 1/6/12  Team Yellow!!!!!

kfadak responded:
That is totally normal! Expect to be catching your breath for the rest of your pregnancy! Only it gets worse don't take the steps! Lol!

lbcash responded:
I have asthma and it has kicked into overdrive in the past two weeks. I was reading out loud in Sunday school yesterday and couldn't hardly read I was so out of breath. But, I did read that the shortness of breath does occur in nearly everyone. Due to hormones and your lungs don't have as much room to expand. There is an article I read on here about "Pregnancy Discomforts" and shortness of breath was listed with explanations.

candy352 replied to kfadak's response:
OMG, you mean there will be more of this! I'm so not looking forward to that. Thank you guys for your replies. I was starting to think that maybe I was just never diagnosed with asthma and there is something wrong with me. This makes me feel a little better.
Candy 26, DH 37, First pregnancy, EDD: 1/6/12 Team Yellow!!!!!

htma4494 replied to candy352's response:
Girl, I have been getting out of breath a lot too, light headed and dizzy too..It happens all of sudden too, alomost feels like youre going to faint or something, definitely not a good feeling, but yeah I heard that its normal and will get worse the further along you are...I will be 27 wks on Wed and they say once you hot the 3rd tri, it moves to your rib cage making it even harder to breathe. So ladies, looks like we are going to be out of breathe a lot...
Me: 24, DF: 27, EDD: 11/9/10 (1st Child) Team Blue!!! X0X0, Cia

JennLoney responded:
I am due 1/7/2012 and I get really out of breat also, I sometimes just standing up having a conversation find myself breathless. I was also wondering if this was normal.

candy352 replied to JennLoney's response:
Sooo, now I'm getting out of breath by just sitting at my desk. This is driving me crazy! I tried to take some deep breaths, but when I did that my left side began hurting. I'm going to talk to my doctor about it tomorrow during my appt.

missashley1010 responded:
yeah I hate to bring bad news but im 32 weeks and it only gets worse. I hate being out of breath. Now when I pull up to walmart to go shopping I get a small anxiety attack just thinking about huffing and puffing the whole time lol. Oh well its small price to pay.

ColleenK32 replied to candy352's response:
So, I am going to disagree with everyone. Yes, shortness of breath can be normal in pregnancy- to a degree. OF course if you walk a long distance you may feel short of breath Your diaphram is pushed up, decreasing lung volume, making breathing harder while sitting. HOWEVER- I noticed that lately after standing for 3-4 minutes that I was dizzy, short of breath and just not right. If walking, and trying to talk I became very short of breath. I went to my pcp (I'm an RN, even worse- an ER RN.. lol I dont go to the DR unless im ready to die or collapse. lol) and told her. She checked my hemoglobin and hematocrit- both were extremely low. Both had dropped significantly in the last four weeks. This has now resulted in needing additional meds- and significant restrictions at work (they suggested bedrest- uhhh-- no way. I will suck it up). I also had extremely low blood sugar. But you really should talk to you Dr. Like I said, some shortness of breath is normal- but only to a degree. If your concerned talk to your doctor...
Colleen 27 DH 31 DD Lexi 5. Expecting Baby John around Christmas. Due Date 1/2 (but will have probably have repeat c-section). Blue Team!!

candy352 replied to ColleenK32's response:
Thanks Colleen. I have an appt this morning and I am really getting concerned about it. I haven't had any tightness in my chest or any other symptoms along with it. The symptoms you described all sound like low blood sugar symptoms too. I haven't had any probs with that. I'm monitored very closely. I can understand becoming out of breath if I'm actually doing some activity, but I have a very sedentary job position.

Lurking from 3rd ti: Hey candy, I have been feeling out of breath a lot lately too, did you ever go to to your doc appt and if so, what did he say about it? I dont have another appt until Sept 6, so I was just curious, in my books I read that shortness of breath/dizziness is normal in 3rd tri..

candy352 replied to htma4494's response:
I posted before but it did not work, apparently. I went to the doctor and she said it was normal, due to there not being enough room in there. It will get worse, but it is nothing to be too concerned about. She did tell me that if it happens again and I am really really concerned, to go to the Labor and Delivery unit and they can run some tests.

Okay, Thanks!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I had DS1 young, with a high school boyfriend. My hubby and I fought infertility from July 2001 to May 2007. I have Endo and PCOS. I am pregnant now w...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.