Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
how soon to prepare fot baby
ktaylor11 posted:
I am 21weeks and have been trying to decide when to start preparing for my baby's arrival...registering, getting room ready, and so forth. I didn't want to do things to early and actually have a friend who is totally against doing anything early due to fear of something bad happening if you know what I mean. I am excited and want to be fully prepared when baby comes. What is everyone else doing and when did you start?

ColleenK32 responded:
I have everything done already. Oh sure, theres always little things- but most everything is already done. I haven't packed a bag yet- but we are registered, and the nursery is done. I figured I wanted to do it while I had the energy and wasn't short of breath. My husband and I both are always walking into the babys room and just smiling. I think if "something bad" happens, its going to be horrible wether the nursery is done or not? And If baby comes early- we are ready.
Colleen 27 DH 31 DD Lexi 5. Expecting Baby John around Christmas. Due Date 1/2 (but will have probably have repeat c-section). Blue Team!!

ktaylor11 replied to ColleenK32's response:
Thanks Colleen...That's the way I look at it. When I was pregnant with my baby girl 3 years ago I kept wondering when to get started. Well the time to have her was here before I knew it and then I was rushed. My sister had her baby girl at 28 weeks and was not prepared at all and that put so much stress on her. I think I will go ahead and begin getting things ready. Thanks again for your comments.

ReneeSP replied to ktaylor11's response:
I feel like time started flying around 22 weeks, and now that I'm on the edge of 28 weeks I am starting to feel like I have too much to do and not enough time! So yes, sooner the better! And my energy level is dropping quickly, so that is really something to consider.
Renee (29), DH (31); 1st pregnancy after infertility - EDD 11/30/11

Lysana responded:
While I agree what when you have a newborn is not the time when you'll want to be putting together a nursery, I've found, in my experience, that those little ones don't need all that much (other than you) at first. All of ours have slept in our room for the first "x" months (with DD#1, 5.5; with DS, 14 (yikes! Haha!); with DD#2, 10) and it has worked out really well. It's especially nice when breastfeeding, not to have to go all that far to get a hungry baby in the middle of the night.

However, if you're ready to prepare for baby, then do it! I'm just an awful procrastinator, and I've found out that it works out okay. Make sure you have the necessities on hand - diapers, enough clothes to make it through, a safe place for baby to sleep (we used several different things, but most recently, a swing) - and everything else will come together.

And I have no idea what we're going to do this time around...all of the bedrooms are taken, now. Uh oh. Haha! Somebody's going to be sharing...just not sure who, yet. DH is thinking DD#1 and DD#2, by default, but I'm halfway thinking DD#2 and new baby, at least at first, because DD#2's bedroom is the closest to us, and I always hate the idea of moving a baby farther away from my bedroom - that first step is always a doozy. (Part of the reason DS was in our room 14 months and DD#2 in our room 10 months!)
Kelly (32) ~ Craig (36) ~ Eliana (4.5) ~ Joshua (3) ~ Bekah (13 mo) ~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011) ~ ^i^ (Jan 2006)

Lysana replied to Lysana's response:
While I agree *that*.... Eyeroll. Wish we could edit our posts!
Kelly (32) ~ Craig (36) ~ Eliana (4.5) ~ Joshua (3) ~ Bekah (13 mo) ~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011) ~ ^i^ (Jan 2006)

missashley1010 responded:
lurking from 3rd tri.

I registered at right about where you are now. I started washing all the clothes around 30 weeks and I just moved into my new place so I just finished the nursery im 34 weeks and now kinda bored with all my projects done. So I guess if you want to do it now go ahead its probably good to do it when your motivated and not tired but just a warning when you are where im at you might go nutty from being bored of just waiting lol.

Lysana replied to missashley1010's response:
Although, this is a good time to do it, because (cliche coming, but it IS true) you have your energy back (2nd tri) and haven't gotten to the "so big you can hardly move" point yet.

And I wasn't thinking about registering...this is a good time to register.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a navy wife who just moved from South Carolina to San Diego, CA. This is my first pregnancy and my amazing husband and I are very excited to a...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.