Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Braxton Hicks 2nd Tri??
oboingo76 posted:
Well, looks like I had my first BH contraction last night. It woke me up out of a dream and scared me to death! It felt like someone was squeezing my uterus - wasn't painful just - weird. I shifted positions and it didn't happen again but of course all night I was worried that something was going wrong.

I thought of BH so looked it up this morning and it did say they can begin as early as the second trimester. The description matched exactly what I felt. I was just surprised because I didn't expect to experience them this early (I'm in my 16th week).

Has anyone else in their 2nd tri experienced these already?

htma4494 responded:
Lurking from 3rd tri: Hi, I'/ pregnant w/ my 1st and I had BH several times during my 2nf tri, although not until I was around 20 weeks or so..If this is not your 1st child, they are likely to come much earlier...Dont stress, they are normal part of pregnancy and is basically preparing your body for real contractions...They will get more frequent in the 3rd tri..
Me: 24, DF: 27, EDD: 11/9/10 (1st Child) Team Blue!!!
X0X0, Cia

rmbmomof2 responded:
I started having them around 19 weeks. At first I thought it was the baby curling into a ball making my stomach hard, but after the 2nd or 3rd time I thought maybe BH. THis is my 3rd pregnancy and my first time ever experiencing them! Good thing they arent painful, just strange.

mmwells1229 responded:
I was wondering the same thing, mine started at around 15 weeks which seemed very early to me. No pain associated with them and they are random (I really only notice them at night) so I'm not worried. This is also my second pregnancy, but I didn't notice them with the 1st until mid 3rd tri. I guess we are just going to be labor champs!

Lysana responded:
I'm 16w4d today, and I had some this morning on the drive to work. At the time, they struck me as the first ones I've had that haven't come after taking a walk. So, sounds normal!
Kelly (32) ~ Craig (36) ~ Eliana (4.5) ~ Joshua (3) ~ Bekah (13 mo) ~ EDD 2/24/2012 ~ ^i^ Pumpkin (Mar 2011) ~ ^i^ (Jan 2006)

leftcoastgirl responded:
Mine started around 16 weeks with my first LO and with this pregnancy as well.
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), and our new addition due January 9, 2012!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a single mother to a wonderful daughter and am excited to begin my adventure as a moderator with WebMD. I have past experience as a medical tran...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.