Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
circumcise or not to circumcise?
mamas77 posted:
im having a little boy and now im wondering if i should circumcise him or not anyone with a little boy that has or hasnt, can i get the pros and cons to it please!!!

batgirl19 responded:
Hi there! I'm having a little boy also and I'm trying to make the same decision. I asked my doctor about her opinion and she told me that circumcision isn't medically necessary. It was basically started a long time ago by a priest as a religious ritual to prevent masturbation. My doctor said that the rate of infection isn't increased with circumcision, you will just need to teach your son how to keep it clean when he gets older. Also, he can choose to have the procedure done later on if he wants. I would rather have my son make the decision on his own but that's just my opinion. It's a personal choice and depending on your culture/religion, you may decide based on that also. Good luck!

loyal1982 responded:
I'm also having a boy. Still trying to decide but probably will circumcise.

ILOVEGAVIN responded:
I circumcised both my boys. I just thought it would be easier that way. Good thing is it can always be done, so if you choose not to at the time of birth you can always do it later.
ME (24) DH (26) GAVIN 07/07/07 (4) GREYSON 05/29/2010(1) SKYLAR RAE DUE 12/06/2011 TEAM PINK!!!!

lbcash responded:
I have a 4 yr old and I had him circumcised and I will have this LO circumcised also. I know my husband was adamant about it because his father had to be circumcised at 16 yrs old and he new a gentleman that just had to be circumcised at the age of 50. Both men had to have it done due to complications or medical reasons (such a touchy topic we really didn't ask why). Both men said that it was horrible.

mamas77 responded:
thank you all for your comments!!! im not with the dad anymore..thats a topic on its own but hes not and i think that im not going to do it just bc batgirl19 has a point i didnt know that you can get it done later. im going to give him the choice later in life!!! thank you!!!

ColleenK32 replied to mamas77's response:
I dont really see it as a choice later in life. Every man I've known who had it done later- basically HAD to for medical reasons because of infection or other. Yes- they could have chose not to do it, but medically really needed it done. When I worked in military hospital I had a 16 yr old boy come in for his presurgical consultation. He was so humiliated, embaressed and angry. I felt horrible for him. HE had been made fun of in gym class, so badly that he was going to have be circumsized at 16. Not to mention- surgery is a much bigger deal once your older. I have seen a circumcision- and the baby did not get any meds- just a little sugar in his mouth and he didn't cry at all. Pretty quick. I also consulted one of my drs I work with- he said it wasn't something he pushed necessarily, but it was a parental choice. That being said- he also mentioned that parents usually choose whatever the father is. So if father is uncircumsized, the parents choose to not circumcize the baby. I thought it was interesting.
Colleen 27 DH 31 DD Lexi 5. Expecting Baby John around Christmas. Due Date 1/2 (but will have probably have repeat c-section). Blue Team!!

klynshoe responded:
This is NOT a good reason to choose one way or the other but with that caveat I will give a women's (mind you, not every woman) perspective on this...

On a very personal note I have found it very difficult to be sexually aroused by an uncircumcised man. Its a total turn-off and grosses me out. There's just certain things I won't do sexually to a man that is uncircumcised.

That being said I know I will get backlash from other women saying that is rather shallow but it is another perspective to consider if you still aren't sure.... Again its just a personal preference and not sure if any other women feel the same way so please take it with a grain of salt.

ColleenK32 replied to klynshoe's response:
Agreed. Just my personal opinion as well...
Colleen 27 DH 31 DD Lexi 5. Expecting Baby John around Christmas. Due Date 1/2 (but will have probably have repeat c-section). Blue Team!!

blueskies2012 responded:
I'm having a little boy too. Please have him circumcised. The pros outway the cons for both his physical, psychological, and emotional aspects. Good luck with your decision.

leftcoastgirl responded:
I have a 3-year-old girl, and am expecting another girl this time, so I don't have as much insight as most of the other moms here. (And, I have to say part of me is really glad we have girls and haven't had to make this decision ourselves!)

But, one thing you might want to keep in mind regarding the emotional aspects of "fitting in" in the locker room or how a potential mate might feel is that circ rates are falling in the U.S. The world our LOs will live in as adults will be different than what we experience. I live in California, and I belive the circ rate here is something like 1 in 3. So, really, by the time our LOs are adults, most men here will NOT be circ-ed.

Not sure if things are the same where you live, but it's something to consider.
Me (35), DH (35), DD (3), and our new addition due January 9, 2012!

missashley1010 responded:
having a boy and will have him circumcised. I let me BF decide and he was all for getting it done and I agreed 100% I just figured get it out of the way when they cant remember the pain or have the chance to be humiliated later in life (just because some women are repulsed by uncirct men..me being one of those "shallow" women) lol

KBratt responded:
I don't have a boy...yet, but we never even considered not doing it. DH is, & we definitely will have our son cric. I know it is a personal decision, but I totally agree with PP's about embarrassment & sexual reasons later in life.
Me 22; DH 21; EDD1 8/24 Kelsey Paige

kerrymh replied to mamas77's response:
I was going to say "ask the dad" because I'm leaving the decision up to my husband (he is adamant that we will have our son circumsized).
Maybe you could talk with some men in your life. Brothers, dad, grandpa, friends, and see what they say.
It's hard to know from a female perspective what to do. I agree that doing it later in life is just not a sensible option- it's much too painful and traumatizing.

Ive been with an uncircumsized man and it didn't bother me too much, but I have also seen uncircumsized little boys (being a preschool teacher) and some of them had way too much foreskin and it was very unnattractive. I remember thinking "why didnt they circumsize him???" Maybe some boys are born with a lot, and some just a little? Good luck with your decision!

marsharileylamont responded:
YES!!!!!! CHOP IT OFF!!!! LOL

seriously, you wont have to worry about having to fight to get that foreskin over to clean it. My son had his circumcision done at age 3.

Apparently, when the surgeons started the procedure, they realized why his could not go over...IT WAS LITERALLY ATTACHED TO THE HEAD!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi Everyone - my name is Toni - I am 35 and pregnant for the first time with twin girls. My husband Bill and I have been married since 2007 and are so...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.