Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
say what! i gained 17.8 lbs!!!
crystalr159 posted:
I honestly have no idea how i gained soo much! let me give you some back ground.

July 31- found out i was pregnant. weighted 125
late august- first ob appoitment- 129lbs 8wks
october 13- ob appointment 133lb 14 wks
^^^^^^^^^^ i was only drinking 32oz of water

oct24 baby started kicking, got very very hungry every hr. started drinking 64oz of water 16weeks
^^^^^^^^^ hunger last for two weeks only

Nov 15 ob appointment for cramping 142lbs 19weks
Dec 5 OB appointment 146.8 21wks

i honestly have no idea how im gaining all this weight seriously 17.8lbs thats alot. i know my breast have gotten alittle fuller but not rerally growing. my face, thighs, are all the same. just my tummy is huge. so im thinking its from me drinking alot more water cause i eating healthly fries every now and then. i didnt really crave anything but fruits and cereal and milk. So my dr but me on a diet. lol no sugar at all,!!!!

hgreenwood7058 responded:
Eeep on no sugar. I gained 7lb in the last 4 weeks which was a bit of a shock because I gained a total of 5lb at 17 weeks and so I doubled my weight gain plus 2lb in 4 weeks. I was like Oy. When are you due? Its possible that you are retaining water. The only place I have gained is barely in my chest and lots in my belly. No other place. We are supposed to gain 25-35lb during pregnancy but for some they gain more and others less. Best wishes.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

cshyronia responded:
That is crazy ur dr would put you on a diet you are half way through ur pg u r supposed to gain weight. that is only half of what they recommend. This is my 4th pg. last one i gained 50 lbs and dr didnt put me on a diet. I wouldnt worry too much.
Me 32 df 34 ds 15yrs dd 3yrs ds 8 months edd 4/15/12

cshyronia responded:
forgot to memtion by my 4 week check up i had already lost 25 of the 50 without any excercise
Me 32 df 34 ds 15yrs dd 3yrs ds 8 months edd 4/15/12

angelsmythers responded:
That's crazy that he put you on a diet! I gained 50 pounds with DS and my doctor said that i was a healthy momma! lol I am trying to watch my weight a little more this time. Only because I felt like crap at the end carrying around 50 extra pounds at a job where I am always on my feet! 17 pounds is not the bad, especially since your halfway done!
Me-22 DF-22 DS Connor-2 he came into this world May 19th and made me the happiest Momma in the world! New little peanut is due May 25th! Connor may just get a baby for his 3rd birthday :)

bbcntpa responded:
Did he put you on a diet b/c you were gaining too fast? Looks like 1 month you were putting on about 2 lbs a week, and you might still be at the point where it should only be about 1 lb a week. In that last month or so of pregnancy, it'll start coming on a lot faster. I would try to follow the diet but not stress too much about it. Maybe cut back on sugar significantly but not necessarily cut it all out completely, know what I mean. I was not overweight when I first got pregnant with my DS, but I put on 40 lbs during that pregnancy. That's a LOT for someone my stature. Afterwards, I ended up getting hypothyroidism and the weight would NOT come off. I lost around 17 lbs or so with child birth, but that was about it. I was even breastfeeding (or trying to) afterwards and the weight wouldn't budge. Most people don't encounter that problem (post pregnancy hypothyroidism), but there's always a chance.....that's why I say, if the doc recommends slowing down your weight gain at this point in your pregnancy, you might want to consider it....but don't stress it.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (3.5), EDD 5/3/12 (but will have a c-section end of April), Green Team

crystalr159 replied to bbcntpa's response:
she just said i was gainging to much weight. so she said no tea, juices, alot of fruit, soda, candy chocolate. but the thing is. i dont really drink tea, or juice or soda. dont eat alot of sweets. i been drinking alot of water and milk and eating what i always have. but i have noticed that i was craving frost flakes which have sugar. so im thinking that would be the only place i would get alot of my sugar from.

bbcntpa replied to crystalr159's response:
hmmm....i wouldn't think frosted flakes would be that big of a problem unless you were going through a box a day or something. do you drink skim milk? and are you watching your salt intake? is there any chance the weight gain is water retention from so much water and maybe too much sodium?? i don't know. i'm sure it's frustrating though. but at least it looks like you just had that one tough month and then by the next visit, your weight gain looked like it was back to average. good luck!
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (3.5), EDD 5/3/12 (but will have a c-section end of April), Green Team

thriftymommy2 responded:
I am surprised that your doctor put you on a diet. Even if you gain a pound a week until you deliver you will still be under forty pounds. I gained forty with my first and my doctor never said a thing to me. I am really craving milk as well, and I think that is what is making me gain my weight. (10 pounds at 16 weeks) How much milk do you drink? I can't stand skim milk, and three glasses a day of 2% is not good for keeping pounds off!
Erin(35) DH(34) DS(3) DS(2) Angel Baby 7/24/11 EDD 5/27/12

crystalr159 replied to thriftymommy2's response:
was drinking maybe two glasses a day. one for breakfast and one for dinner. i didnt think fo rmaybe a week or two, then aftewr i started drinking alot of wate

TyneIrish responded:
Seriously, your doctor may be over reacting or you could be over reacting. Pregnancy is not the time to be put on a diet or think about trying to go on one. You can eat what you normally eat just maybe increase your activity to more walking or swimming. Gaining more than 2 lbs a week is a sign you might have gestational diabeties or are reataining a ton more water. If you are then on both accounts your salt should be decreased not nessicarily sugar. But being you aren't gaining too much weight then you shouldn't worry about it. I started my pregnancy at 125 and I am up to 150 and my doctor is not worried at all because my PB and other vitals and labs are very normal. You can worry about the weight after baby is born.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My name is Ashlee and i am a 20 year old single mom. The father isn't around anymore but that's ok. I found out that i am having a son and his...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.