Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Worried...
Lani30 posted:
Hi, ladies. I'm feeling very stressed and was hoping someone can help ease my fears. I'm 16 weeks with baby #3 and recently got some blood work back, and apparently, there's a higher than normal risk of downs syndrome. The chance is still relatively low, 1 in 300, but it should be 1 in 10,000 according to my OB. She did further blood work today and will let me know later in the week what the results are, and she was very reassuring, that everything is probably fine but I can't stop worrying. My 1st trimester sonogram looked fine so that's a relief. I'm just curious if anyone here has ever had blood work that showed a high risk and then everything turned out normal-this has never happened in my previous pregnancies. I know that whatever happens is meant to be, and every child is a gift, but it's still scary. Thanks in advance for any help.

brokenlove responded:
Well i can't say i've had the test come back with signs of down syndrome but what my perinatal dr told me is that if there is any sign of it on any of the blood work they do on me, they will do an amnio to comfirm or deny the results because thats the most accurate test that can be done. Was told that the blood works, shows that there maybe a chance but its still a long shot. I would say don't stress about it, if the blood work still comes back with the elaveted risk you could always ask for an amnio to comfirm or deny the blood results. I know that this may be hard, but just stay calm.
Me (23) DS (3) EDD 5/11/12 Green team, hoping for blue but thinking its gonna be pink from what my DS keeps saying.

BabyDems responded:
good luck with the testing, how stressfull! This is why i don't get test done, there are so many false positives and you could be stressing over nothing....on the other hand if there is something wrong, the stress while your pregnant isn't going to help matters either.....I just don't see the benifits in it. My mother had a false positive with my brother and the stress almost made her go into labor half way through....needless to say he was healthy and happy baby with not a thing wrong with him. GL to you and I hope that everyone is healthy!
Me(31) DH(32) DD (14 mo.) EDD:5/28/12

TyneIrish responded:
I know for a fact a good portion of the blood test for DS come back with high levels. I had that test show my duahgter would have it (I was 19 and didn't see how that was possible). They did an ultrasound to see the thickness of the skin on her neck and it was normal. I guess that is another good way to test for it if the dr thinks an amnio is too risky. Don't stress about it because the stress can cause you and the baby more health problems than it's worth. Relax and enjoy your pregnancy as much as you can.

Lani30 replied to TyneIrish's response:
Thanks! I had another round of bloodwork done and the dr. called me and told me the odds were much lower now (not sure what the difference in tests is) so I'm much more relieved now and trying to just enjoy this pregnancy. Thanks again for all your responses, it was very reassuring.

jlynnpaine replied to Lani30's response:
So glad the newest bloodwork looks better.
Jodi (28), DH (24), DD (2), new LO (pink team again!) due 5-16-12

hgreenwood7058 replied to Lani30's response:
I am glad that they were able to do some follow up labs and that the odds are lower now. Hugs and best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

Spotlight: Member Stories

hey ladies!!! im 23 years old bearing my first child...although scared/nervous/ i am also excited/delighted!!! i have been with my BF for 7 1/2 yr...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful