Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Accuracy of U/S info
bbcntpa posted:
I know that if you have an ultrasound towards the end of pregnancy, the weight they tell you can be off by a pound or so. Does the same hold true for earlier in pregnancy? Can it be off by X amount of ounces and if so, how many? I had my big anatomy scan ultrasound yesterday at 19w 4d. Previously, my ultrasounds have always measured me to be exactly as far along as my LMP date. This u/s measured me at 20w 5d and she said the baby weighs about 12 ounces. That seems big to me and it is a little big judging by what the pregnancy books say. Everything else (head, arms, legs) measured right around 20 weeks. I really don't think I'll have a big baby given the birth weights of my DS, my DH, myself, and our siblings....all weighed less than 8 lbs. So I'm wondering what are the chances that the u/s tech was just off with her weight guestimate.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (3.5), EDD 5/3/12 (but will have a c-section end of April), Pink Team!

TyneIrish responded:
I've had several ultrasounds with this pregnancy and ALL of them have come up with different gestation periods, but were generally within the same 2 week period for a due date. Being that all babies grow at different rates, the weight isn't so much to worry about as the size because that is generally how they figure the due date. And you could be one of the few that has a baby biger than expected.I'm expecting my baby to be between 7 and 10 lbs based upon my daughters birth weight and my DH's. My siblings and I were born in extremely high altitude and were all premature.

MrsHoro responded:
I have my anatomy u/s today. I have had other u/s because I have GD. Each time LO has measured a few days large except the last one where LO was 1 day behind. I asked about the measurements a few weeks ago and the OB said that all u/s are different and the each tech does it differently, but anything with in two weeks is considered fine in the first two trimesters. If you have GD you are more likely to have a lager baby.
I am 19w today and hope LO is awake and not shy.
Furbaby Roxxy(5) and Abby(2) Due 5/15/2012 with GD.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
It can be off by 1-2 oz in either direction (on my u/s report this is what it said). My lil boy measured 9oz at 19 weeks 1 day. But every baby is different in gaining weight. The main thing is that the lengths and parts look good. There was a lot of people in my April 2012 group (on cafe mom) who's babies were 13oz at 19-20 weeks so I would not worry. And your baby also may have had a growth spurt right before the u/s as well. Best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

bbcntpa responded:
Thanks ladies! I figured there was some margin of error, but just didn't know the number. I can't remember what my DS weighed at this point...I need to go back and look at his baby book. I don't think she'll actually be a big baby....the chances would be extremely slim given the extended family history on both sides, my DS's birth weight, the fact that I'm pretty sure I won't have GD (my blood sugar always runs low), and the fact that she'll be born at 39 weeks at the latest. Plus, all of her other measurements were right on track. But I was just curious. Not that it matters, I guess, since I'll be having a c-section anyway! Just trying to keep track of her progress.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (3.5), EDD 5/3/12 (but will have a c-section end of April), Pink Team!

hgreenwood7058 replied to bbcntpa's response:
no worries I am always curious about that stuff too and I like to keep track of everything too.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hey there my name is Erika and I am 24 about to be 25 in April. My loving boyfriend cody who is 26 about to be 27 . We have been together for 4 awesom...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.