Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Not sleeping well
TyneIrish posted:
I kind of figure all of us aren't sleeping well at this point in our pregnancies, but my sleeping problem is related to one of the most silly worries. I go to sleep on my left side like reccomended but find myself tossing onto my right side or my back. There was one night I only slept two hours because I kept worrying myself sick about sleeping on my right side or back and killing the baby. At my last checkup I asked my OB about it and she said as long as I put a pillow between my knees or prop up even up a little while on my back I should be fine. I still worry though. Are any of you freaking out about your sleeping position as well? I just want to know if I am the only one worried about this.

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I am not worrying about positions. The left side is just optimal position because you get the most blood flow that way (not sure why). I do the same thing as well though. I have a body pillow that I put between my legs and I roll from my left side to the back and to the right side (with the pillow) and then I roll again. I roll back and forth a lot. Best wishes.
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

brokenlove responded:
I try not to worry about how i sleep, since my dr said sleep whichever is most comfortable for you too sleep, even if its on your tummy that its not going to harm the baby. She told me that how you sleep isn't going to harm they baby, they recommond the left side for better blood flow but as long as its not bothering you to sleep on your back, rightside or anything else its fine as long as your body doesn't go numb or causing a lot of pain. This is my second baby so i am not as worried about how i sleep, its hard enough to sleep without worring about how your sleeping.
Me (23) DS (3) EDD 5/11/12 Pink Team

jlynnpaine responded:
Try not to stress out about this. You will be fine. You need to be able to sleep and however you have to lay down to do that is what's important. My doctor put it this way for me. If you're laying on your back, the vein is very easily compressed so the weight of your uterus puts pressure on it when you're lying on your back. However, she told me that you would start to feel light headed and would automatically roll over before it became dangerous for you or baby so not to stress about it at all. If you wake up on your back, just roll over to one side (either side is okay). I like to prop a body pillow behind me so that I can kind of lean back onto it without actually being on my back.
Jodi (28), DH (24), DD (2), new LO due 5-16-12

bbcntpa responded:
I worried about this a lot more with my DS than I have this time around...and even then I got over it eventually! You'll get to the point where you just need the sleep, regardless

However, with both my first pregnancy and this one, I had heartburn and it was just more comfortable for me to sleep a little bit propped up in bed (or in sleep on the couch....b/c the pillows against the armrest propped up my back and by hiney sunk down in between the couch cushions, keeping me from being anything close to flat on my back). You don't have to be propped up like you're sitting bolt upright....just so long as you're not FLAT on your back. Think about how little you're propped up when you lay on the exam table at the doctor's office. I also sleep on either of my sides....which ever is more comfortable b/c it begins to get very uncomfortable for me after a while. I do what the PP does......put 1 pillow behind my back so that if I happen to roll onto my back, I won't be lying flat on it. Also, when I'm on my side, I keep a pillow b/t my legs. When I'm on my back, I keep the pillow under my knees/thighs. I'm assuming that as my belly gets bigger, I'll have to do what I did with my DS.......which is...when lying on my side, use a body pillow in front of me and underneath my belly to support it's weight and then the botton half of the body pillow will be tucked between my knees and then a regular size bed pillow will be wedged behind my back. It's science!! But you'll figure out what makes you most comfortable and don't worry if you wake up on your back....just roll over and go back to sleep.
Brook (34), DH (38), DS (3.5), EDD 5/3/12 (but will have a c-section end of April), Pink Team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

me (26) dh (28) edd 4/18/12~ first trimester was nerve racking! Fertility issues so I was on Clomid 50mg and m/c in June '11 at 6wks. Currently at...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.