Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Big Baby?
LittleO125 posted:
Hi all!
I had an unexpected ultrasound on Sunday, when I would have been 26w1d pregnant. We are having a girl. The tech said that she weighed 2 pounds 1 oz. already! Doesn't that seem really big for 26 weeks? Everything I have read in books and on the internet says that she should be about 1.5 pounds. A 1/2 pound seems like a big difference this early! Any thoughts? I'm just nervous to have a huge baby to deliver, haha!

BekahS responded:
I honestly wouldn't be concerned. Ultrasounds are not extremely accurate with measuring weight. With my first pregnancy they thought I'd be having a 6lb baby (yay!). Well she turned out to be 7lb 9.7oz. Haha. A bit off...

jlynnpaine responded:
I agree with pp, the ultrasounds are not very accurate on measuring how big they are so try not to stress about it.
Jodi (28), DH (24), DD (2), new LO (pink team again!) due 5-16-12

hgreenwood7058 responded:
I agree with the pp. It can be off by as much as a pound. There have been quite a few ladies on cafe mom that I have read with the size of baby that early as well. There is a gal who is like 29 weeks and her baby is measuring to be 3lb14oz! I have seen that a few times as well. Could be the u/s is off or it could mean your baby is not going to be a low birth weight baby. Best wishes
Heather(24),DH Lee(25). PCOS w Hemmoragic cysts. BFP:1/23/11 M/C 2/10/11. BFP 08/13/11 EDD 04/17/12-Team Blue!. Hope this LO will stick

mrshoro responded:
Like everyone else said. They can be off by much as a pound. It is also just a guess based on measured averages.
Furbaby Roxxy(5) and Abby(2) Due 5/15/2012 with GD.

BabyDems responded:
I am five feet tall, and my doctor that I had with my daughter said that she weight about 9lbs. when I was 34/36 weeks along and she said they gain about a lb a week after that....I was scared that I was gonna have this enourmous child that would weight 14lbs (ridiculous, i know!) but when she came she was 7lbs. 10oz. and (c-section baby) So she was perfect! If I would have had her vaginally she would have weight a little less. I wouldn't stress out too much over it!
Me(31) DH(32) DD (14 mo.) EDD:5/28/12

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.