Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
shortness of breath
jillydilly0 posted:
Hi all. I am 27w6d today with my first pregnancy. For the past week I have been having spurts of shortness of breath and a rapid heart beat. The doctors don't seem to be worried yet since it doesn't last all day long. However, it is starting to bother me since it seems to happen almost daily now. It happens very suddenly without anything seeming to trigger it. This morning it happened as I was just sitting here at my desk. I was just wondering if any of you have experienced this before?
TIA :c)

mommyin2011 responded:
Here is somrthing I found on WebMD... Symptoms of Anemia During PregnancyThe most common symptoms of anemia during pregnancy are:
  • Pale skin , lips, and nails
  • Feeling tired or weak
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Rapid heartbeat
  • Trouble concentrating
In the early stages of anemia, you may not have obvious symptoms. And many of the symptoms are ones that you might have while pregnant even if you're not anemic. So be sure to get routine blood tests to check for anemia at your prenatal appointments.
Risks of Anemia in PregnancySevere or untreated iron-deficiency anemia during pregnancy can increase your risk of:
  • Preterm or low-birth-weight baby
  • Blood transfusion (if you lose a significant amount of blood during delivery)
  • Postpartum depression
Untreated folate deficiency can increase your risk of having a:
  • Preterm or low-birth-weight baby
  • Baby with a serious birth defect of the spine or brain (neural tube defects)
Untreated vitamin B12 deficiency can also raise your risk of having a baby with neural tube defects.

click here for more info:
http://www.webmd.com/baby/anemia-in-pregnancy

Good luck to you!!!!!
Me (29) DH (27) 3 fur babies - DS born 7/31/11 - 2nd baby due 7/20/12!! 11 days before DS 1st birthday! :)
PINK TEAM!!

FrenchBulldogMom responded:
I started having the same symptoms a few weeks ago. I'm 26w 1d. I've recently cut back on the number of hours I'm working, and this has helped. Otherwise, my doctor told me to use my rescue inhaler.

Check with your doctor and see what he/she says about it.

jillydilly0 replied to FrenchBulldogMom's response:
I go back to my regular OB Monday for my gestational diabetes test. I talked to the NP at my high risk doctor this past Monday about it. She wants me to document when it happens to see if there is a pattern. She said if I get too worried that they can send me to a cardiologist. She seems to think it is just a pregnancy thing for now since it isn't lasting all day. I hope she is right! I am definitely going to bring up to my regular doctor Monday. Thanks for the input ladies! :c)

beckyatmoms responded:
I have been having the same thing. When it happens it's in the morning and lasts about 20 minutes or so. My high risk OB told me yesterday it has something to do with low blood pressure and it is nothing to be concerned about.

Update if you get any more info from your docs, I'm interested in other opinions on this. It's kinda scary when it happens.

jillydilly0 replied to beckyatmoms's response:
Yeah it is definitely scary when you have a hard time breathing. They listed a bunch of things that could be causing it like anxiety, thyroid, caffeine, etc. It just seems to hit me out of nowhere and I have already had a lot of issues in this pregnancy so it always freaks me out!

I'll let you know what I find out Monday, if anything.

Oh yeah. They also told me that I can take Benadryl at night to help calm me down if it happens when I try to sleep.

sarahann1978 replied to jillydilly0's response:
I was thinking thyroid when I first read your post, but I haven't specifically had the same symptoms during my pregnancy since I didn't reply then. After I had my DS and was still breastfeeding I would have heart racing and palpations, and I am on thyroid medication. I am going to be monitored more closely post-partum this time around.
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) Team Pink Baby (Aug 2012)

RobynMia replied to sarahann1978's response:
Kinda sounds like an anxiety attack. But those symptoms can be connected to several things. Also, if you have a BP cuff try monitoring your blood pressure.

Good luck.

jillydilly0 replied to RobynMia's response:
Well I went to the doctor yesterday and mentioned the shortness of breath. He didn't seem too concerned. He said it was a normal pregnancy reaction due to how the baby is effecting your vascular system.
He told me to change positions when it happens.
It doesn't seem to be happening as much as it was.
I have a history of anxiety so it very well could've been an anxiety attack

beckyatmoms replied to jillydilly0's response:
Yeah, that is pretty much what my doc said too. That makes me feel a little better since they are both saying the same thing...like a free second opinion

glad i could help

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I have been married since 2003 .Terrell is 35 I am 28 We have 3 beautiful children together with number four on the way 01/11/2011 Mari...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.