Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Almost there, have U/S question...
WantAnother2012 posted:
Hello ladies! I get to join you all next week! Yea!! So just curious how many of you did 1st trimester testing at 12 weeks and got to get a "sneak peak" at your little one's gender? I know 2 people who are just a bit a head of me in their pregnancies and both got 80%+ confirmations of gender!!! So exciting- would love to hear anyone's responses! Thanks for your input!

hoping101 responded:
If you're talking about the quad screening- I opted out. I figured it didn't matter either way and I am not high risk. We were able to find out gender at 14 weeks. It was accurate!!! 12 weeks is really early, but I suppose it's possible. Good luck!
DH(28), Me(26), DS(1), Baby Boy 2 EDD Sept 2, 2012!

WantAnother2012 replied to hoping101's response:
Thanks! Because I am 35 they want me to do it because it might make a difference in what hospital I deliver at- just in case they think there is a problem a larger with more equiped facility would be safer for baby!

sarahann1978 replied to WantAnother2012's response:
I have always opted out of those tests myself.

I have a friend who is due in June and she is 38 so she had the quad screen. It came back that her baby likely had a problem like downs syndrome, I think they work off of probabilities, and hers was high. They did a follow up amnio and the baby is actually in fact healthy and has no chromosomal problems. Just thought I would mention that because it would scare me if the test indicated something, and it would be comforting to know that sometimes that test isn't very accurate.

For both of my pregnancy I never had an ultrasound at that time. With my first I had one at 8 weeks, 21 weeks, and 41.5 weeks. They were able to acurately identify the gender at the 21 week ultrasound. For this one I have only had one at 19 weeks and she said she was 112% sure it is a girl.

Good luck, I hope they are able to see it for you!
Sarah (33) DH (31) DS (Jan 2009) Team Pink Baby (Aug 2012)

WantAnother2012 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I was going to opt out myself until they were just being overly cautious about baby and trying to make sure that LO and I are in the best/safest facility when he/she makes their entrance into the world. Then it make sense- so pretty much I don't want to hear any of the details just confirm where they want me to deliver! There are MANY false positives and since I am barely in the "high risk age category" along with no family history of downs syndrome on either side I am confident everything will be OK!
I go in tomorrow so was hoping I could get a bit of a peek! Thanks for your help!

beckyatmoms replied to WantAnother2012's response:
I had the first tri screening and it was too early to tell the sexes. I get an US every two weeks so I did end up finding out around 14/15 weeks.

I see the screening more as a chance to be prepared. There are a lot of false positives but in my case the results made me feel a lot better than what they initially told me the chances were based solely on my age (35).

Good luck tomorrow!

hoping101 replied to WantAnother2012's response:
If you want to opt out- could you just make the decision to deliver at the better prepared hospital anyways?

I delivered my first at a hospital that couldn't handle anything other than a birth and extreme minor issues. If something were necessary I would've been transferred- to me all of that seemed crazy. This time I have a choice where to deliver and I am choosing one that can handle everything!

Good luck!
DH(28), Me(26), DS(1), Baby Boy 2 EDD Sept 2, 2012!

htots responded:
Not sure. I had my ultrasound done at 18 weeks and they were sure it is a boy! But I have heard of the gender being found out much earlier. Guess it just depends on how your little one is sitting and if they want to cooperate

Good luck!

WantAnother2012 replied to hoping101's response:
I could but location is so much more convenient! Less traffic getting into the city and because I am getting my tubes tied at the same time I will be there for a few extra days and I want my 2 girls to be able to come and go frequently to visit. Just makes is easier on everyone who is helping out to be closer- plus I delivered my last child at the closer hospital and had a great experience and LOVED my Dr there! I just am keeping my fingers crossed it's not even an issue after tomorrow!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hello. My name is Ashley. I am 20 years old, and have been married to my husband Paul for a little over 3 years now. We are excpecting our first child...More

Helpful Tips

Cord blood banking question
We are considering cord banking with this baby. We love the rep at CBR and found a coupon code 'MOOLA' that saves $250 off enrollment! What ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 8 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.