Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
gestational Diabetes
beckie_33 posted:
I was diagnosed early with GD and told I could only eat a limited amount of carbs for every meal. I'm trying to do the best I can but I end up going hungry because most foods have alot of carbs. Even with exercise my blood sugars are all over the place.

Does anyone have any good receipes that are quick and easy and doesn't have a lot of carbs. Or know of a good website with some good receipes

Cowgal7083 responded:
Beckie, I too was just diagnosed with GD. I found that I have to stay away from any breads, even meats coated with a bread/crumbs. Penut Butter has been my saving grace because it is high in fiber. Low fat yougart (yoplait) mixed with grape nuts allows me to have a sweet snack, but again is high in fiber. Good whole grain breads, so long as I don't have more thant 2 peices don't affect my sugars. Basicly any nut seems to help with the hunger pains too. Do you eat only 3 meals or are you eating little meals throughout the day? I have small meals with snacks 2-3 hours after. This seems to keep me from having the ups and downs with sugars so I don't feel hungry.
If your looking for receipes, just google Gestaional Diabetes and lots of sites come up, all of which have some sort of link to receipes.
Good Luck.
Amanda

beckie_33 replied to Cowgal7083's response:
I eat 3 meals with snacks in between. I've found that sara lee has bread that only has 7 carbs per slice the only problem is that it's more expensive. I am allergic to peanuts so peanut butter is out. And I already eat a ton of yoplait light yogurt.

My doctor hates the fact that I have to carb count but that is what my nutritionist wants me to do.

korin81 responded:
Hey Beckie I found a post of mine from my last pregnancy lol. Hope it helps. I have had GD with all my pregnancies and I expect to have it again this round.

Here is what I was told to follow for a diet, blood levels:
Fasting levels: under 90
test 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner: under 120
Your breakfast should be a total of no more than 30 carbs
Morning snack: no more than 15 carbs
Lunch: no more than 30-45 carbs
Afternoon snack: no more than 15 carbs
Dinner: no more than 45 carbs
Evening snack: no more than 30 carbs.

Keep in mind that processed foods and some fast food may say it's within your carb intake but if it's not a healthy carb it can throw your blood sugar levels off still. Meats are either super low or zero carbs so for snacks you can do cooked deli meat or pepproni. Also cheese is perfect because it is again either really low or zero carbs. I like the pringles pizza sticks cause they are like 12 carbs so a good snack and they never put me over. Grapes and apples never put me over either. So for a snack you could do a fruit, cheese and a meat! You will basically need to just play with your diet the first week to see how your body reacts to different carbs. I really hope this helps you! Good luck!
Korin(31), DH(26), DS(3), DD(1), Khloe Madison EDD: 10/18/12

Momobecca responded:
I had GD with my first pregnancy and eating the 0 carb foods with my required carbs really kept me going. I think carrots and pickles are both freebies if i remember correctly, and any meat is a freebie so again, deli meats and pepperonni you can pretty eat in unlimited supply. Drinks were always what threw me off because everything you drink besides water is high in sugar basically. Def. don't waste your food carbs on drinks since they don't last long. I ate a lot of chicken cesar salad since lettuce was either 0 or really low, and of course chicken is low in carbs. It's no fun but it doesn't last long and hopefully like me, you can devour everything coated in sugar as soon as you deliver lol

jedmonds12 replied to beckie_33's response:
Yoplait Light might be low in calories, but if you look at the sugar on the label it's ridiculously high. Try unflavored greek yogurt for a high-protein, low-carb/low-sugar snack. You can mix things in to make it more palatable, like fresh fruit or a little honey. Also, agave nectar is a natural sweetener and you don't need much of it to sweeten things up, if that's what you're going for. You can put lemon juice in your water to give it a little flavor without adding sugar. Hopefully you like veggies, since those are mostly all "freebies" as far as carbs/sugar go.
Julie (28), DH (35)
DS Kawika 4/25/11
Due 10/7/12 - blue team!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I am 24 and my SO is 25. This is our first baby. We have been together 2 years. Not married yet but will be next April. We are very excited about ...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.