Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
Confused, help please
Taylove11 posted:
Hello ladies,

I just got back from my 12 weeks ultrasound. The u/s tech said that the baby looked good, but when I was in with my OB she told me that the nuchal fold came back thick (75th percentile). She also told me that the baby did have a nasal plate, which is good, but she wouldn't really tell me much beyond that. She didn't give me the actual thickness of the fold, but she said that the 75th percentile is high. She also said she would be extremely concerned if it came back as the 95th percentile. Does anyone know what is considered normal percentile wise or even actual measurement?

They have sent off for testing for Downs, trisomy 18, trisomy 13, and Turners. I did some reading online, and saw that the baby having a nasal plate is a good thing, but I couldn't find any infomation as to the chances of our baby having one of these conditions with the nasal plate present. I'm super stressed out now. I know I just have to wait for the blood work results to come back... It's going to be a long week.

Anybody have a similair experience? If so, what was the result for you? Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Me (24), DH (31), DD (1-1/2) Expecting again! EDD 12/7/12. Green team

mama_to_bunches responded:
Please don't stress yourself out. From what I've heard (a lot) these types of tests have a really high rate of false positives. My friend was told she was going to have a downs syndrome baby and her son is a healthy 5yr old.

DixieBrandon responded:
I work in a hospital and I am in school for an OB nurse. From what I see with most of the positives, they come back false. The other woman was correct in saying there are honestly more times the test is really negative even if it comes back positive. The rate is actually quite high for a false positive on these kinds of tests. I would call the doc and tell her you want the number of the nuchal fold and look that up. I know one of my daughters was 4 and they said that was high and shes perfect. Just try to relax (I know its so hard) and know that everything will be alright hun. Please let us know how things go and good luck. Your baby will be fine!

Taylove11 replied to DixieBrandon's response:
Thank you so much for your replies and thoughts. The bloodwork came back with a high risk, so they are sending me to a perinatologist for a level II ultrasound. I'm trying to relax, but that's just not news any expectant parent wants to hear. I will update you all after the appointment. Thank you again for the encouragement. It means a lot.
Me (24), DH (31), DD (1-1/2) Expecting again! EDD 12/7/12. Green team

Spotlight: Member Stories

My husband and I were married August 9, 2008. We decided to start ttc after being married for three months thinking it would take awhile. 9 months lat...More

Helpful Tips

I need your tips...
Now that you have had twelve or so days to get to know the new exchanges-let me know what else we can do to help make them better. We ... More
Was this Helpful?
7 of 14 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.