Skip to content

Announcements

Find your due date buddies: February 2012, March 2012, April 2012 and May 2012.

Take a peek inside the womb to see how your baby develops from week to week.

Welcome mommies from 1st Trimester Community (BFP to 13weeks). Your final stop is the 3rd Trimester Community (28w to 40w). Yay!
15 weeks and already feel like a fat hippo
Hannah48810 posted:
I am 15 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I have already gained 15 pounds. I was 140 pre pregnancy and now 155. I am a little tall (5'5 1/2") My appetite is out of this world. I am always hungry. Lately my craving has been peanut butter and banana healthy milkshakes. It's not like I eat like garbage. I eat healthy. It's just I eat a lot and 2 much healthy can be bad lol. Is this amount of weight gain normal for someone 15 weeks pregnant? I look about 5 or 6 months pregnant. But, I guess each pregnancy is different. My doctor does not seem too alarmed by this. But, I was looking for women's opinions who have been pregnant or are currently pregnant. Or advice from an expert.

oliviaand responded:
oh i feel you on the weight gain part. I am 22 weeks and I have already gained 17 lbs. The problem with me is that I was technically already "overweight" to begin with by BMI standards. I weighed about 188lbs before I got pregnant and now I weigh about 205. My doctor wanted me to keep my weight gain around 25 lbs to 30 lbs. So, I hope I don't gain that much more bc I still have about 4 months to go. I am 5 9 and they say I don't look 5 months pregnant. But, I am kind of concerned because they say by 5 months you should have gained about 10 lbs. But, you are right, every pregnancy is different. But, it doesn't help that I like to drink Dr Pepper a lot. My doctor hasn't told me anything except to cool it on the Dr. Pepper. I crave, get this, chocalate frosting. But, I do eat healthy as well.

scperdomo7 responded:
I hear ya on the constantly eating thing! I am 4 months (16 wks 2 days) and just started getting over the nausea. But I had to keep something in my stomach or I would get sick, so I felt like I was eating damn near all day long! It was ridiculous, I thought for sure I was gonna put on some serious pounds.

Like you, I have been trying to eat healthier so that my numerous snacks don't turn into numerous calories and it seems to be working, so far I've put on about 7 lbs. I was 118 pre-prego and this morning I weighed myself and I was 125 - however, I did get a stomach bug last week and wasn't able to eat much of anything for about 2 days, so I'm sure I lost a couple pounds!

15 lbs at 15 weeks isnt terrible, but you still have another 25ish weeks to go, and the last trimester is usually when women put on a pound a week, (which is what you are doing now) so if you continue to put on a pound a week, you are going to end up gaining a total of 40 lbs, assuming you ONLY gain 1lb/week.

A pb/banana milkshake has 240 calories - that's using 1/2 a banana, 1 tablespoon of PB and 8oz of skim milk. By itself, that isn't too bad (sounds really good, actually!) but what else are you eating? And how many of these shakes are you having a day? You obviously don't want to go on a diet while prego and I know you said you eat healthy - perhaps there isn't much you will be able to do about your weight gain, perhaps you can examine your snacks and swap them here and there for an even healthier alternative.

Try not to stress about it too much, just do what you can and enjoy your pregnancy. Best wishes!

beckie_33 replied to oliviaand's response:
I weighed the same as you prepregnacy and I was told to only gain 11-20 lbs. I had gained aprox. 5 lbs but i've lost that due to the amount of time I spend in the swimming pool.

My doctor said that the pool is the best way to help with pregnancy swelling besides support stockings. With this heat the pool has been cool and relaxing and it does more than just help with the swelling, it helps with muscle aches and back pains. Since you feel weightless in the pool it takes the extra weight off your joints. It's the best exercise you can get while pregnant.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'M BAAACCCKKK!!!! =o) My name is Alicia I'm 25 and I'm a PROUD MOMMY of 2 Daughters!! Rayna Nevaeh is 3 1/2 born 3/30/07 6 hrs labor 20...More

Helpful Tips

tilted uterus
have had this with all 3 of my pregnancies it usually goes away but for me it continues through out my whole pregnancy. I am also 4 months ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 5 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.